Re-purposing to Create a Bird Feeder

$3

Using 1 thrift store dish, 1 skewer, and 1 metal bottom of a broken solar light - I created a bird feeder.

I found this dish at a thrift store for $1. I knew I wanted to turn it into a bird feeder.
I bent a metal grilling skewer in 1/2 so that it would fit into my solar stake securely. I used silicone to adhere a metal grilling skewer to the bottom of the dish. I let it dry for 24 hours.
I had a solar dragonfly stake light that didn't work anymore. I pulled it apart, threw out all of the solar pieces, and was left with the stake.
I put the stake into the ground, and the skewer piece into the stake.
When it was all done, I added the bird seed.
The birds are enjoying it. My squirrel loves to try and steal from it - although he can't quite reach it from the branch or ground and the birds chase him away. It's quite entertaining for the family to watch.
A little hard to see in this picture, but here is where it sits. It is protected from the elements by the tree it's under.
I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg

• Dish
  • Skewer
  • Old solar base

Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Chas' Crazy Creations

• Lesley Brisco
    Lesley Brisco

I like it! Is the top bowl glued to the bottom one, or did it come like that? Also, could one put water in the bowl & food in the plate? Double whammy?

• Mary Rushe
    Mary Rushe

Great idea. We are plagued by cats. Does the stainless steel construction deter them? Looks really fab.

• Chas' Crazy Creations
      Chas' Crazy Creations

Thank you Mary. The cats shouldn't be able to climb it. If they could reach the top they might be able to take a swing at the birds or knock it over if it wasn't staked in very well. To make it taller, you could get some metal pipe from the hardware store, silicone the dish to the top of that and then they really shouldn't be able to reach it.

• Erin
    Erin

Did you drill drain holes so the seed doesn't sit in rain water and get moldy?
    • Chas' Crazy Creations
      Chas' Crazy Creations

I didn't drill holes in it. My birdseed is usually gone super fast. In the event it does rain, I generally clean it out and start fresh.

• Amethystaa
    Amethystaa

You will need a hole drilled in the bottom if you plan on having it out in winter. The rain will fill the bowl and render it useless as a feeder.

• Randi Schmidt
    Randi Schmidt

I made oneout of a Terra cotta bottom plate. Loved it. & so did the SQUIRRELS

THEY WOULDNT LEAVE ANY FOOD FOR THE BIRDS