Jennifer Godwin
Jennifer Godwin
  • Hutto, TX

DIY Cornices for Bedroom - No Wood or Hammer Needed

My bedroom windows were "in need" of accent/color and I couldn't find anything pre-made that fit the image in my head. I looked around on Pinterest and found ideas for cornices made of wood and then covered in fabric but I really am not all that confident of my handywoman abilities that involve the need for making wood cuts, etc. I eventually found a DIY that involved using foamboard to make the cornices. I had purchased a twin size version of my bedspread (which I dearly loved and used as the stepping off point for finally adding decor to my bedroom). I used that twin size bedspread as my "fabric" to cover the foamboard cornices. I think it turned out pretty cool. Please Note - hot glue and toothpicks needed for construction purposes!
Also, DO NOT look at my kitchen & diningroom - OMG, I didn't realize what a mess they were in these pics! My friend was visiting from out of town and we had gone a little wild.
BEFORE - You can see the edge of my bed & bedspread which is my "inspiration". I love the sheers as I have 2 inch blinds and don't really need actual curtains BUT I needed some color on this side of the room.
Beginning the measuring...
Beginning the measuring...
And me cutting ... I'm having so much fun!  
P.S. DO NOT look at my kitchen counters in the background
And me cutting ... I'm having so much fun! P.S. DO NOT look at my kitchen counters in the background
Now that things are cut, placed toothpicks (think of them as tiny dowels) to support the sides of the cornice
And now hot glue, hot glue, hot glue ...
After we used the toothpick dowels and hot glue, we used duct tape (of course!) just to make us feel at ease that these things would stay together!
Sides have been affixed to long piece of cornice
Here are cornices with sides but no "top piece" yet
Now the cutting of the bedspread "fabric"
And now more hot glue to attach to the foamboard cornice
My cat, Joey, got into the act - we were a bit punch drunk by this time.  Did I mention my friend was catching a plane home early in the morning?
My cat, Joey, got into the act - we were a bit punch drunk by this time. Did I mention my friend was catching a plane home early in the morning?
The finished product
The finished product
Isn't it beautiful?  We ended up just hot glueing / duct taping on the top piece that be used to mount the cornice to the "L" brackets
Isn't it beautiful? We ended up just hot glueing / duct taping on the top piece that be used to mount the cornice to the "L" brackets
Putting up the "L" brackets that will support the cornice
First one hung!
First one hung!
I love these!  They bring the color of the bedspread to this side of my bedroom as an accent & to tie everything together.
I love these! They bring the color of the bedspread to this side of my bedroom as an accent & to tie everything together.
AFTER:  Here is another view.  I'm very happy with how they turned out.  :-)
AFTER: Here is another view. I'm very happy with how they turned out. :-)

• Deborah

Great job!

• Eva

Great job !!! Thanks for sharing,I am sure we will be copying this as I am not good with hammers or nails lol