Lisa Love
Lisa Love
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Asked on Aug 2, 2013

I don't know it their geckos or lizards but they are creepy!

Catherine SmithWanda MLisa Love
+7

How do I get rid of them, plus i have small puppies and I don't want to make them sick.
  • Catherine Smith

They might seem creepy, but their keeping down your bug and mosquito population. You might try putting out a "toad" house, I used a broken terra cotta pot laid on it's side. We call these little guy's skinks and low and behold they moved off my patio and into the little house. It's in the middle of my flower garden, so I know where they are. We just ignore each other and go on.

• Catherine Smith

@Wanda M I didn't use anything in particular to attract them. I tucked the toad house in my main flower bed next to one of my rose bushes. I haven't used chemical pesticides or herbicides for years, so we have quite a variety of insects, toads etc hanging around. Evidently the "habitat" was perfect for them. They certainly keep down mosquitos and other pests. I doubt very much if your fairy garden will be bothered, since you'll have all kinds of "pretties" in it. My toad house is upside down with a space that gotten broken out of it, nothing inside but skinks and/or toads.

• Sia@South 47th

Agree @Catherine ! @Code those guys are your garden's friends. Love Catherine's idea about a 'toad house'. I just let mine roam all over the place, wild and free ;) They weren't around so much for awhile, but that was because of the rattle snakes I'm sure. Rattlers have been re-located, so we are seeing more lizards etc.

• Lisa Love

The problem is that I'm on edge every time I open my front or back door. It's like they are there waiting for me. One has already gotten inside and it took me hours to catch him. Will the toad house encourage them to more away from my doors. I'm glad they are there to eat bugs in all but i really don't want to see them, just creepy!

• Sia@South 47th

Give @Catherine 's suggestions a try. She's an excellent gardener with all sorts of helpful tips and tricks. ;)

• Lisa Love

WIll do thanks again!

• Catherine Smith

@Sia@South 47th, thank you my dear. That is sweet of you to say. And BTW, had to add an addition to the toad apt building, sheesh. Evidently my skink found a girl friend, and now I have little teeny ones in the flowers, they are so cute but I'm not fast enough with the camera, drat it. Not to mention a new toad. I'm not crazy about them either, but as long as he stays on his side, we're all good. LOL

• Wanda M

what do you put in the toad house to attract them?

• Catherine Smith