Mary Insana
Mary Insana
  • Pittsburgh, PA

My no wood no foam board faux cornice

After seeing a couple cornice window treatments here I took a picture of my no wood no foam core cornice window treatment.
I made my cornice to go on 2 simple curtain rods with 3 inch returns.
I bought just one window panel to match my comforter. I cut a strip the length I wanted plus 4 inches and the width i needed plus 2 inches. I laid the panel on muslin for a liner and sewed all 4 sides leaving an opening to turn inside out. I pressed all the seams very crisply and then turned the top over a couple inches to make a rod pocket. And also sewed a rod pocket into the bottom of the panel.
Press the sides to make a crisp corner on each side then I hot glued matching trim along the bottom slid the curtain road through top and bottom and hung it up. The bottom rod does not need to be attached to the wall.
I have roman shades that I pull up during the day and I also have lace panels that are on tension rods on the top and bottom. The look works for me :)
You can also achieve this by buying a valance and sewing a pocket along the bottom to insert a rod.
***I edited this because I failed to mention that I also used a rod along the bottom Sorry:(
my no wood no foam board faux cornice, diy, home decor, window treatments, windows

• Ada Salvador

I like your cornice, going to try this & can you tell what is your ceiling made of?

• Vickie Lewis

I am wanting to try to re create a victorian style cornice, but have nothing but blinds to attach them too, and they cannot support much weight. Can you help?

• Mary Insana

Are they roller blinds or mini blinds? Can you hang a curtain rod in front of the blinds? If you can let me know and I'll try to help you figure something out

• Vickie Lewis

My mini blinds go all the way to about an inch to an inch and a half below the ceiling leaving just enough room to put small hooks on. I live in an apt but there is no room to install a rod. I was thinking using foam board and wrapping it in fabric then use small hooks to attach to the top of the blinds.

• Mary Insana

You can sew Velcro to the top edge of your fabric and use stick on Velcro on the straight top part of the mini blind.

• Flossie

Great job, it looks so well designed. Can you please tell me how you got the edges to go at an angle? Thank you

• Sheryll S

I do love your beautiful window treatments. Did you make the Roman shade? I love it all.

• Mary Insana

Yes, I made all three pieces. The cornice, the Roman Shade and the lace sheers. I have the lace on tension rods at the top and bottom so my kitties don't try to climb them lol. When I have loose hanging curtains they claw them.