Liz
Liz
  • Greenwood, MO
Asked on Aug 3, 2013

Something Fun

Gloria MLizKate F
+21

I would love to do something fun with this set, any suggestions?
Table but no leaf.
Table but no leaf.
4 very sturdy chairs but will need new fabric.
something fun, painted furniture
something fun, painted furniture
  • KMS Woodworks

Many folks have gone the chalk paint route...personally I'm a real wood fan, so stripping and refinishing would be my first choice.

• Shabby Paints

I love these. Modern/Vintage Black and White ?? Sometimes I find the fabric for the chairs first for inspiration :) Nice find ;)

something fun, painted furniture
  • Kitchen Kelli

This is just me but I would paint the legs and bottom facia board of table with white chalk paint, refinish the top to it's natural beauty, then I would make the chairs look like the legs of the table. Finally I would use muslin feed sack material to cover the chairs, sprucing them up using the process at this link from another Hometalker. http://www.hometalk.com/1945822/transfers-on-dish-towels-graphics-are-from-the-graphics-fairy

• Sia@South 47th

@Liz Great find Liz!! I'm thinking COLOUR! First do you want to sell or keep? 2nd PLEASE I beg you NO chalk paint. LOL!!!

• Shabby Paints

@Sia@South 47th why no chalk?

• Liz

It is to sell @Sia@South 47thfor I do intend on leaving the top natural. But for some strange reason I want to paint it pink with some really fun colorful fabric. I've been seeing so much decor in pink. But for resale it would probably not be the best choice.

• Shabby Paints

My pink pieces take a little longer to sell but they do. Fast sells are the ones that aren't as fun to me because I love color but, eventually the bold pieces move too :) I never can find a piece where the table is in good enough shape to save :) Might be because I'm too cheap lol

• Liz

It would definitely take the right person to buy it!!! I haven't decide for sure. It seems like all I do is white and black, ugh, I'm getting bored! LOL

• Sia@South 47th

@Shabby Paints I'm not opposed to 'chalk', however I (personally) think its a bit overdone. I've walked into some shops where just about everything is "Chalk". I've then come back in a week and yep lo and behold most of the pieces are still sitting there. So maybe, just maybe, folks are looking for a little 'something else'? IDK, just my observations and most humble opinion.

• Sia@South 47th

@Liz I agree that some 'Pinks' are a bit difficult to move. Heck colour in general at times is hard to move, just as @Shabby Paints said earlier. However.....If it's a piece that you can afford to have around for a wee bit, then I say go for the Pink! You know your market out there. I love the lines of the piece, it just screams "Fun" to me. Personally I'd do a two-tone Plum OR Lavender, with some funky fabric. How's that for wild? But then I'm as you know in Northern CA, in an area with outside of the box artsy folks, that like colour. Actually, Plum can be used as a 'Neutral' when done right. Having said that, I have never owned a piece of Plum coloured anything, except glass and stained glass LOL

• Liz

I totally agree with you @Sia@South 47th . A plum would be gorgeous or even raspberry with some really funky fabric. But when I think about the market I live in it probably would not sell. I live in a lake community with a near by larger college town. It would be risky! but so darn much fun!!!

• Sia@South 47th

@Liz Yep oh so right, risky but fun for sure! Well, then maybe you could do a 'twist' on a "Water Colour"? Yet still incorporate what will SOON be known as "The Aqua Elephants Signature Fabric Twist". ???? (how do you like that for instant BRANDING) You really could go Rustic Lake Cabin in the paint colour and Upbeat Fresh Chic with the fabric. Therefore appealing to both of your markets. Just a 'thought'. ;) xo

• Liz

@Sia@South 47th I love your thought process!!!!! Here are examples of fabric.

something fun, painted furnituresomething fun, painted furniture
  • Sia@South 47th

@Liz These will be your fabric choices then? The Elephant motif mandala, would actually be a great one for your logo etc,

• Sherrie

Black, white, and aqua sell well. And yes I would love to do beautiful happy colors. I re-did my whole house in a lot of black. Now I am bored out of my mind! Selling I am noticing tables and chairs, end tables, coffee tables are a win win! Aqua you do need to meet me for lunch! We could go to the feathered nest their stuff sells like hot cakes! And he does colors! But he is also a florist and the way he puts his store together is fabulous. There is another little shop in Ozark and one if her pieces is stunning! I also saw another woman a few miles from us that only paints her pieces. And they are beautiful. It isn't chalk paint, but it looks like a flat paint.

• Sia@South 47th

Anything in this Montage you get a feel for? Some have 'motion' to them to help carry through the 'wave' like appearance of the table.

something fun, painted furniture
  • Sia@South 47th

@Sherrie When in my store, presentation IS everything. It truly makes the sale for you. Display and staging are an art form. )

• Sherrie

Sia I would love to see your store also! It takes talent to be able to do that!

• Sia@South 47th

@Sherrie I'll send out the welcome mat for you!! The store will be finished before our cottage reno is Hahahahahaa!!!!

• Liz

@Sia@South 47th I love the collage you posted, thanks for your inspiration! @Sherrie I did the Black thing years ago (my husband just about had me committed, LOL) and you can get bored with it, but I get bored with things pretty fast anyway!

• Gloria M

My suggestion would be to paint the entire set white. Then cover the chair seats with whatever would match your decor.

• Kate F

I love the above ideas! Check out this link and see if you like the Indian Inlay Stenciling technique. I have been experimenting with it. A little time consuming but her pieces are beautiful! www.domesticimperfection.com/2012/05/the-dirty-cowboy-treatment

• Liz

Thank you @Gloria M but I am looking to do something a bit more creative. @Kate F I love your your suggestion, I have done stenciling and love the look!!!

• Gloria M

Stenciling would look great on both the table and the chair's.