Build a Dog Sofa

My big boy, Danny, needed his own sofa because he's old and can't get up onto our living room furniture. So I built one for him to step onto.
Couch potato watching TV.
Couch potato watching TV.
To start, the ripped 2x4's and plywood constructed frame was based around the orthopedic dog pad that suits Danny's size. The bed pad is 30"x40".
build a dog sofa, pets, pets animals, reupholster
Then to add rolled arms, I padded the sides with foam. And, added orthopedic foam to the base and onto the backrest.
To make upholstering with leather onto the base and around the arms easier, I kept the backrest to the side for attaching later. I used the heavier and thicker distressed Sable leather on the arms. (Where more wear could be possible.)
For the base of the sofa bed, I used a tooled leather look fabric. (This fabric is like vinyl, for cleaning purposes where dampness could occur from wet paws, drooling, and bathed fur.)
"Done yet?"
"Nope. Hold your bones!"
I finished the sofa backrest with the lighter, and softer Sable leather. It's my favorite color of leather.
To finish off the seams, I used pieces I cut off a long leather coat (thrift shop- and half price) in a color that matched the darker distressed leather. I secured the trim with upholstery nails. Where the upholstered back was padded thickly, I ended the trim with matching decorated belt ends.
I found the perfect set of wooden furniture feet at the thrift shop that suited the height of the sofa from the floor.
Finally, added some scrap pieces from the lighter Sable leather to the front of the arms to finish it off. The finished size of the sofa bed is 35" deep by 50" wide and 26" high.
Malamute/Husky tested.
Malamute/Husky tested.
Danny the DIY Dog approves.

• Lumber & Plywood  (Lowes)
  • Upholstery Nails  (Lowes)
  • Foam Padding and Cotton Filling  (Walmart)
Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations

• Centsably Creative

so it looks like you padded and upholstered the "bed" base but it looks like you then just placed his soft bed on top of the finished piece? Is that right? You did not use his "mattress" as the base......?

• Maria T Ford

He is so beautiful and blessed to have a mom like you that loves him very much. It is an awesome bed.

• Michelle

Can you make me one or two for my Labs?

• Vwf10290048

How did you make the sofa back ?