Name of Plant?

+34
I bought this 7 yrs. ago, have transplanted it twice and it still grows like crazy and has spread to different parts of my garden. I should have wrote the name down with my memory being as it is, but I didn't and can't for the love of me find it anywhere in a book.
name of plant, flowers, gardening, hibiscus, This is like a beautiful full airy type of bush
This is like a beautiful full airy type of bush.
name of plant, flowers, gardening, hibiscus, This is a tree in my backyard It looks like a hibiscus but I m not sure if there is a tree or bush as that
This is a tree in my backyard. It looks like a hibiscus, but I'm not sure if there is a tree or bush as that.
  • P P on Aug 03, 2013
    The photo on the right is a Rose of Sharon. It is a Hardy Hibiscus. They will grow and bloom for many years and are available in white, pinks and purples. I am sorry I can't help with the one on the left. Beautiful plants!
  • Sandy Bowlin Sandy Bowlin on Aug 03, 2013
    Thank you Paula, I love it when everything comes into bloom! Now that you mention Rose of Sharon, I do believe I remember buying that, thanks again!
  • Sandra T Sandra T on Aug 04, 2013
    the plant on the left looks like some kind of jasmine?
  • Tammy@Deja Vue Designs Tammy@Deja Vue Designs on Aug 04, 2013
    The blooms on the left look like a jasmine...and hoya blooms, but the foliage don't match either. The leaves actually resemble those on my umbrella plants. I sure hope you get it figured out...it's really a cool plant. :D
  • Molly L Molly L on Aug 04, 2013
    I think the one on the left is a kind of Amsonia ("Bluestar"). Some of them have white flowers like yours - not just blue!
  • Barbara Thomas Barbara Thomas on Aug 04, 2013
    I thought the one on the right was Holly Hock....I know it attracts Bumble Bees like crazy but is pretty......I'll need to remember it's Rose of Sharon now.
  • Betty Aldrich Betty Aldrich on Aug 04, 2013
    looks like a star plant. would love to have some of it for a space in back yard.:)
  • MaryLou Rush Rowe MaryLou Rush Rowe on Aug 04, 2013
    I had this at my last house and the neighbors called it "Widows Lace" ????
  • Donna Shipley Donna Shipley on Aug 04, 2013
    I think Molly L is correct. Check this out... http://georgeweigel.net/plant-of-the-week-profiles/perennials/amsonia-blue-star ... looks just like it.
  • Joan deMontmollin Joan deMontmollin on Aug 04, 2013
    Aphrodite.. (dark pink petal with dark red eye) The Althea shrub.also called "Rose-of-Sharon " Very common in Alabama,Georgia, North Florida.....well loved by all..easy to root
  • Judith O Judith O on Aug 04, 2013
    That Rose of Sharon is pretty but it's seeds will drop & spread rapidly. They are also very hard to pull out. Have fun! www.glenviewgardeners.org
  • Angie Base Angie Base on Aug 04, 2013
    Althea is correct (Rose of Sharon). They are fabulous! Wish mine would drop and grow little ones as I would make a hedge of them along my yard fence. I bought 2 and always remember the one my Grandmother had in her front yard along the walk. So dependable.
  • Ann S Ann S on Aug 04, 2013
    I love my rose in sharon but they will keep u very busy pulling out all there babies, even with matting them & pea gravel didn't help a bit. And I'm ready to cut a couple of them down & only keep the one in back yard! Not sure on the other one!
  • Kathy C Kathy C on Aug 04, 2013
    Left is Amsonia (Blue Star) and right is Rose of Sharon - both gorgeous plants!!
  • Mary Ann MCM Mary Ann MCM on Aug 04, 2013
    isn't that a Rose of Sharon?
  • The Plant on the left is Amsonia or blue star. I have one in my garden ( A mother's day present) labeled "Halfway to Arkansas". And Molly is right there are white varieties.
  • Sandy Bowlin Sandy Bowlin on Aug 04, 2013
    Thank you all so much and whoever said Bluestar Amsonia, and Rose of Sharon, you are so right. When I first saw Amsonia Blue star mentioned, I thought, that name looks so familiar and am so glad to finally have a name to put to the plant. I love it, but it also spreads like the rose of sharon, so we've been transplanting it along our back fence area (chain link) I know it will cover that part of the fence very nicely in a couple of years, seems to grow pretty fast.
    I'm going to post another picture of a tree we had. It was beautiful when we first planted it 3 yrs. ago, but this year with the weather being so totally weird, it died out for some reason, I guess after it bloomed a bit, the frost maybe got to it, not sure. I could have cried when we had to pull it up, it was definitely gone! Not sure of the name of this one either (I'm so bad when it comes to naming plants and trees, just know they are beautiful). Now I'm writting them down!
  • Carol Bidmead Bromund Carol Bidmead Bromund on Aug 04, 2013
    Sandy, I also think the bush on the left is the Bluestar Amsomia... it turns gold and reddish in the fall. I bought four of them for the front of my house and two died... and I can't find the receipt for them. Oh well!
    Sandy, here's a stab in the dark... your pink flowering tree has gorgeous flowers, and it reminds me of a tree I used to have. It wasn't hardy enough for Illinois where I live and it died. Anyway, it was a Kwanzen Cherry tree, and the flowers looked like powder puffs on the branches. It was so gorgeous and I got a lot of compliments on it... while it lived, that is.
    Aw, that's sad Carol. I've had really good luck with mine, I never dreamed they'd reseed and come up in other places.
    Thank you so much for reviving my memory Carol. As soon as I read your reply I knew that was it. I had the tag from it and somehow lost it, but yes, that's it! Thanks again! I may try to grow another and try to cover it when it gets to cold, lots of mulch too I guess. It was so beautiful!
  • Jay Jay on Aug 05, 2013
    The white flowers look like a variety of lily to me.
  • Sandy Bowlin Sandy Bowlin on Aug 05, 2013
    Thank you Jayashree, I'm sure now that it is the Amsonia, it's so beautiful when in bloom and when it's not, it's still beautiful because it's so fluffy looking!
  • Gwen Strickland Gwen Strickland on Aug 05, 2013
    The lavender blooming tree is Hibiscus syriacus (aka Rose of Sharon or Althea). I have several lavender ones in varying shades, a white one and a pink one. easy to propagate with cuttings
    Thank you Gwen. Love it and I may look for a white one!
  • Sandra M Sandra M on Aug 05, 2013
    The tree on the right is a Rose of Sharon, they also come in white and lavender!
  • Becca Frierson Becca Frierson on Aug 06, 2013
    the small tree with the double flowering ... flowers ha ha ... I once had a double flowering ornamental PEACH tree was about the same size the blooms looked like those, not sure if the leaves are a peach or cherry... they told me when I bought that tree that not to plan on any fruit or any good fruit... I didn't care if it had fruit or not it was the most beautiful tree for over a week or two and people would stop in the road and take pictures of it ... I wish I had one now ... moved... but it is an ornamental and double flowering?? something .. :)
  • Sandy Bowlin Sandy Bowlin on Aug 06, 2013
    @Sandra, thank you so much. And @Becca, that sounds like it was really beautiful, I may have to look at an ornamental peach tree next time! So not sure what to get! Thank you all for your replies.
  • Peg Peg on Aug 09, 2013
    a few of my Rose of Sharons. I have a bluish colored one too.
  • Sandy Bowlin Sandy Bowlin on Aug 09, 2013
    They are just beautiful Peg, thank you for the pictures!
  • Peg Peg on Aug 10, 2013
    I try to save the seed too to give out as well as pot up the babies.
  • CMT CMT on Aug 12, 2013
    The bush on the right is a Rose-of-Sharon. They are from the same family as the Hibiscus. I actually have a Hibiscus and Rose-of-Sharon of the same color as your plant.Help answer this question...
  • Virginia Spruill Virginia Spruill on Aug 16, 2013
    This is an Althea, or rose of Sharon, either name is correct. I have many and you can shape them to be tall or bushy, Square like a hedge even...
  • Cathy Cathy on Sep 10, 2013
    Hi,, the white airy plant on the left is garlic chives. The only reason I know that is someone just gave me a bunch to pot up. Break a piece of the leaves off and taste it. Now imagine it in a salad. Cathy
  • I have written before the plant with the white flowering plant is Amsonia or Halfway to Arkansas ( comes in white or blue) Take care, do not taste, as sap is poisonous and may cause irritation on contact. See ..... http://www.backyardgardener.com/plantname/pda_e52a.html Picture of flower/plant.... <http://hoffienursery.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1114>; It is NOT Garlic chives... Compare flowers... <http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/herb/garlic-chives/>;
  • Sandy Bowlin Sandy Bowlin on Sep 22, 2013
    Thank you so much Nancy!