Leonie Cocklin
Leonie Cocklin
  • Namibia
Asked on Aug 3, 2013

Old headboard

Sharon KavanaghJean DeSavageSue Ross
+11

any creative ideas to upcycle this headboard please?
old headboard, repurposing upcycling
  • Kitchen Kelli

Did you want to keep it as a headboard or make it into something else?

• Leonie Cocklin

Hi Kalamity Kelli, yes i want to keep it as a headboard.

• Kitchen Kelli

I am with @Carrie @ Lovely Etc. I would grab some batting and staple it down then some great fabric, maybe velvet and maybe burlap or muslin (If I did muslin, i would transfer some images from the Image Fairies - as they are free -on the muslin) and staple it down then make some buttons to make it tuffted. I really like the shape of it so those are my ideas.

• Colleen

I agree with Carrie@Lovely Etc.. Find a nice solid color fabric and make it tufted.

• Gail Salminen

@Leonie Cocklin I am with @Carrie @ Lovely Etc. for upholstering. If you want to keep it timeless for at least a bit you could do a faux leather with hammer head tacks. You could also achieve a neat look by painting black or dark brown or other colour using the same hammer head taks to accent it. Here is an example of upholsered furniture that can be applied to any surface. http://www.hometalk.com/875198/decorating-with-tufted-furniture

• V Laye

This is a great shape for a great project I'm considering.......cover in batting, using a staple gun or spray adhesive. Then cover in fabric of your choice, stapled to the back.....I'm thinking I will use a canvas drop cloth. It's a nice weight, neutral in color, and best of all, inexpensive. Then outline the shape with nailhead trim. A beautiful look :-)

• KathrynElizabeth Etier

Do you want to use it as a headboard? If not, it would make a pretty back for a bench.

• Leonie Cocklin

thanks so much for all the replies!!

• Jac197012

I would go also with batting and tuffed.

• Colleen

turn it upside down - add a shelf for a beautiful bookshelf

• Sue Ross

If you don't want to staple into your headboard, you might make a 'slipcover' for it. That way you don't have a LONG TERM relationship with something that will bore you in a year or two. You could easily 'change out' the look of your bedroom based on seasons, holidays, ATTITUDE(!)... If this is a challenge for you, think DUVET. (not knowing your level of GO FOR IT, I hope I have not offended).....HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!!

• Jean DeSavage

If you don't want to cover your headboard, you could apply wooden appliques, pretty flourishes, etc. Then you would paint the whole thing. You could then touch the edges of the appliques with a metallic, or other color. Doing this you could find appliques to give the headboard any design era look-spanish, art deco, etc.

• Sharon Kavanagh

This is very labor intensive but, have you considered doing a mosaic of broken china. I did a night stand in my guest room in a old romantic floral and it inspired the rest of the room. Ebay and Etsy have some great examples. It is messy and a ton of work, but it is fun and you might be creating a heirloom for future generations.