Delores M
Delores M
Asked on Jun 16, 2012

I need ideas for using and/or preserving vegetables from the garden as they are ripening only a few at a time?

KMS Woodworks3po3Delores M
+10

• KMS Woodworks

Daily salads?....my grandmother would freeze a lot. When larger batches would come together she would can stuff. As a small kid I remember 100's of jars of home canned stuff in their root cellar.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Freezing works well for small amounts. What vegetables are you currently harvesting?

• 3po3

A couple of summers ago, I wasn't getting much in the way of tomatoes, so I would bring in "the daily tomato." Then I would slice it up, put a bit of fresh mozzarella and fresh homegrown basil on each slice, then some balsamic reduction. Mmmmmm. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Folks who grow zucchini would probably like to only have a few at time! I guess the things you are getting don't work in combination?

• Delores M

Okra, zucchini, cucumbers and jalapenos so far. Really, only the okra. The other three are easy to grill/eat as is. But a handful of okra . . .is a handful of okra!! Only green tomatoes right now, but am planning on canning spiced pickled green tomatoes anyway :-)

• Eulalia

I make zucchini bread with my zucchini! But don't want to do all that baking in the summer. So I grate it and put pre-measured amounts into ziploc freezer bags. In the fall I just take out as many bags as I need for the amount of loaves I want to make.

• Wendi H

one meal at a time....what i do....last night had 1 cucumber ready....just ate it....awsome...and so healthy!

• KMS Woodworks

Steve G...we have not had fresh maters her in some time..but when we get a got batch from the market we will slice them and lay some slices of fresh mozzarella on them then broil them until the cheese melts (smoked gouda is a great version too) After you pull these from the oven a drizzle of balsamic and pinch of sea salt.. this is making me hungery

• Delores M

Eulalia, great idea! I had not even thought of that, many thanks :-)

• 3po3

KMS, sounds great. Thought I don't ever find worthy tomatoes at the supermarket. Gotta be homegrown or farmstand, or farmers market maybe.

• KMS Woodworks

Steve...Whole foods is starting to sell Heirloom varieties...we had some purple ones the other day.

• 3po3

KMS, your woodworking business must be more profitable than my stay-at-home dad business. I can't afford to even step in Whole Foods. Maybe I'll ask by little boss for a raise.

• KMS Woodworks

The mrs...buys these...she make tons more than I do