DIY Farmhouse Dining Table

I have to say this is one of my favourite DIY projects! Everything from the build to the worn, rustic finish. While it took longer than I hoped for, I couldn't be happier with the outcome!
As soon as I saw the movie It's Complicated I was in love with the dining table used in the movie. It was however an antique and despite looking around I could not find a table of similar shape. Rounded ends, but not oval.
So we took matters into our own hands, and used inspiration from that table to make our own. We started with rough sawn pine, 3 planks glued together to form the top. Rounded the edges, which was a bit of a nail biter since I wanted the ends round, but didn't want an oval table!
We built the legs based on a pattern we had used previously for our outdoor harvest table and just scaled them to size to fit this table. Then it was time to add a rustic, worn looking finish.
I wanted something that would allow some raw wood to show through, have darker and lighter areas of patina, still show the rough sawn marks and knots, and have that kind of whitish appearance you often see in old worn wood.
I was able to achieve it using a combination of paint and liming wax, both brushed on and blended with a slightly damp rag.
While our table isn't nearly as big as the one that inspired it, it will easily seat 6 and even 8 for a more cozy meal!

• Rough sawn pine  (The Wood Shed)
  • 2 x 4 spruce  (Rona Home and Garden)
  • One Step Paint  (Amy Howard at Home)

Red Cottage Chronicles

• Wen5167759

What movie??

• Beth Hall Holman

I have a table the same shape as that one and a hutch that goes with it. I've had in my family since I was a baby I'm now 45. It's solid wood , my brother one year decided to sand it down to the raw wood. He took the table apart and misplaced the hardware and forgot how to put it back together. The hutch is still that old really dark stain. I have the table strapped and hung on my wall in my basement. I don't want to ruin it. Could I use a chalk paint or milk paint on it?

• Red Cottage Chronicles

I know for sure you can use chalk paint. I am not entirely sure about milk paint as I have never used that before. I would suggest visiting missmustardseed.com Marion carries a line of milk paint and I would consider her an expert!

• Charlene Warren

Hello! Beautiful! May I ask how you cut the edges? We have this shape dining room table top, but the veneer is damaged, and we want to make a new top for it out of planks like you have done. We can use the existing top as a curved template, but am curious as to how you cut it? With a jig saw or skill saw? Did you get close enough and then sand it down the rest of the way? Thanks!

• Judd C.

Awesome job,

would love to see pic of the Harvest table , y’all built 💯 ❤️

• Pmdbio

I love everything about your gorgeous table!!!