Beth Figiel
Beth Figiel
  • Lagrange, GA
Asked on Aug 3, 2013

How to change the finish of my sink & bathtub faucets?

Suellen HintzStephanieSharon Gherman
+25

Want to keep existing faucets but change the color. Any suggestions on how to & products or steps to do this?
Want to paint the faucet to update from gold to newer finish.
  • KMS Woodworks

You could remove them...have them lightly sand blasted to remove the clear laquer finish that is generally on them, then paint with a good spray enamel. Brushed nickel is pretty common. http://www.lowes.com/pd_57758-4-465.0066005.076_?productId=3729673&site=shopLocal

• I've painted shower handles before. I just roughed the handles up a little bit so the paint holds on. I used a fine grit sandpaper.. Then I spray painted the handles with "Rustoleum" brushed nickel spray paint and let dry then used a clear coat spray paint to help protect it from the moisture.

• Cynthia B

Awesome faucet! I'm wondering if an automotive body shop could help...? What finish are you wanting?

• Sia@South 47th

@Beth Figiel Yep just as the others have said. Take them out, clean, sand, wipe clean,. Making sure that NO sandpaper, grit or grim remains. Then spray in whatever coloured finish you desire. There are MANY, so you should have no trouble in finding one to match the look you are going for.

• Melissa Gutilla

I myself have been doing this in my bathroom. Everyone is right. Rust oleum it great and I have also been putting on the clear coat also.

• Seabreezn

If you go to a " Stainglass " store , you'll find there are easy chemicals you can use to change the color of metal = copper , black etc..it's not expensive and very easy . Good Luck

• Sue Ross

when you are done, could you please share the finished product with us? (I'd LOVE to see!) THANKS AND GOOD LUCK!

• Accentuations!

yes! just did this a few months ago...with great success! I will give you one example. We had chrome fixtures but wanted oiled bronze. We turned off the water and then removed the fixture in question. Wiped it down to be sure it was dry. We used a small sander to removed the original finish and wiped again. I prefer Rust-O-leum products so I first primed all the pieces. When that coat was dry I used 2 coat of the bronzed finish. When all of that was dry (I waited oven night) I used the Rust-o-leum 2X clear lacquer (satin) finish. Again I let it cure over night. You would never know that these fixtures are not original! We did two bathrooms this was...saved a bundle of cash and everyone thinks we did a major remodel! GOOD LUCK!

• Beth Figiel

@Accentuations! ,Is there a special kind of primer I need to use? Thank You so much for the much needed advise.

• Carol Harris

wow! didn't know this was possible, I've been wanting to buy new ones for my bathroom in the bronze color and they are so expensive, so now I want have to buy new ones, thanks.

• Accentuations!

by the way...I did this with towel bars as well!

• Sue Ross

ya know......it MIGHT be possible to take these to a auto painting shop......they could strip and paint AND clear coat....MAYBE....it might be worth a phone call or two.

• Sia@South 47th

@Sue Ross I loved your idea and thought heck ya!! Better to drop them off and have them do it! Time and effort saved! And I honestly had no idea of the cost but was shocked!! I took the photo to a local, trusted and (what I thought cheap) Auto paint Shop, down the way from me. UH,OH NO. They wanted $300.00!!! Yep that's right. So for all of my Norcal folks? Let's DIY!!!! ;) Hopefully in other parts of the USA it's a heck of a lot cheaper than here!! xoxox

• Sherry

great idea! What type of paint for my kitchen facet, that will not show fingerprints?

• Bradford Plumbing LLC

your plumber can take it apart and have parts re finished dont forget to have all finishes but chrome painted with clear paint

• Maureen H

would this procedure work on the trim of a shower enclosure? I have "gold" trim that I would love to change out

• Accentuations!

@Maureen H Hi Maureen! I am thinking about doing the same thing! It's just that you would have to take down the enclosure, scrub it up and go from there. It would no doubt save a ton of $$ as long as you don't mind the labor!

• Accentuations!

Because so many have asked me I am posting pix of the painted faucets, towel bar and even a light fixture that used to be brassy. Questions always answered to the best of my ability....!

• Accentuations!

I posted some pix for you...

• Leah M

I LOVE those handles! I would've so paid to get them when I remodeled! of course, everyone else would've HATED them!

• Deirdre Sullivan

I love those handles too! Where did you get the fixtures from?

• Bj

They make a special for that now mine was all gold and I bronze turned out amazing

• Bj

Oops special paint

• Sharon Gherman

Gun bluing will turn them dark grey. Remove the finish as described above, then wipe the bluing on. I've turned silvery chain dark this way. Gun bluing is normally used to permanently darken rifle barrels - you can get it at Sportsman's Warehouse or any other store that carries gun accessories.

• Stephanie

For everyone that has repainted their bathroom fixtures, how long has the new Rust-O-leum painted fixtures lasted?

• Suellen Hintz

Never seen handles like those...love them. Like something from a dr Seuss book...lol. Sorry, don't know anything as far as a suggestion to your question.