Kathy Wilkins
Kathy Wilkins
  • Hopkinsville, KY
Asked on Aug 3, 2013

Need ideas for painting staircase knobs.

Linda BennettMarlenaPaul Someson Jr.
+7

We moved into our older home last fall and the contractor that remodeled for us used latex paint for the knobs because they are all peeling off just from normal wear and tear. Any ideas for something that will last and also be different that just plain old white paint?
See where the top of the knob is missing the white layer of paint?
  • Sia@South 47th

Perhaps "Metallic"? Comes in all flavours.

• Schatz & Sons

Clean well,Sand, than use a bonding primer,oil base paint finish

• KMS Woodworks

How about a polished stone sphere?...or a crystal ball.

• Schatz is on the right track. When you say older, how old is the home? (just concerned about possible lead paint used originally) A bondable primer should be used to help the new paint adhere properly. Oil based paint will take the wear and tear of that knob better than latex, and be easier to clean when it gets dirty. But.. KMS has a great idea, finding something similar in size that has a unique look, and have it attached. This would not only provide a finish that would not need as much cleaning, but depending on the location of the stair case, may actually make a great conversation piece.

• Sassy Townhouse Living

I like the metallic paint idea!

• Kathy Wilkins

Thanks for all the cool ideas! And I like the metallic paint idea also.

• Teresa A

Beautiful piece of craftsmanship! As the previous posts mention, if you want to keep the original try using the scratchy part of a wet dish sponge to get the rest of the latex paint off the surface of the ball. The latex paint will most likely just start to peel off like an onion skin when you start to remove it. It doesn't need sanded bare risking breathing the dust of old lead paint. However, the old surface is saturated with dirt & hand oil from years of people touching it. Years ago the owner of a True Value hardware store told me washing surfaces with TSP before painting is the most important thing to do when preping a surface for proper paint bonding. In my old house, I always wash the surfaces with TSP for good paint adhesion.

• Paul Someson Jr.

If you have a drill and the cap can be removed chuck the screw part of the cap in the drill and cover the drill with a cloth. Turn the drill on to slow and with a aerosol paint can spray the cap. You should get a good finish if you apply light coats of paint.

• Marlena

Hey @Kathy Wilkins Do you have a a theme? I could see faces too and make sure apply a clear coat later. But first I would find out what paint and sealant to use in a high traffic area.

• Linda Bennett

Paint to look like a pool ball, it's already got the stripe in the center.