Kelli @CraftShackChronicles
Kelli @CraftShackChronicles
  • Farmington, NM

Turn an Old Wood Bowl Into a Hanging Plant Shelf

I found an old wood bowl at the thrift store earlier int he summer. One of those dime a dozen bowls, nothing really special. It was $2! I bought it, but wasn't sure what I planned to do with it. I didn't need a large wood bowl, but I figured I'd come up with something eventually.
turn an old wood bowl into a hanging plant shelf, container gardening, gardening, painting
I had two brand new colors of Unicorn SPiT I needed to try out, and I figured this would be the perfect opportunity!
I started working on the bowl before I really knew exactly what I wanted the final outcome to be. It was therapeutic not really knowing, just going with the flow. First step was to clean up the bowl, and then I added two colors of Unicorn SPiT in circles around the bottom of the bowl.
After pressing some kitchen plastic wrap down over the SPiT, I spread it and smooshed (technical term) it around. Lift the plastic straight up and off when you're done smooshing.
Unicorn SPiT has to be sealed with an oil based polyurethane. I used a satin finish, then I drilled three holes in the sides of my bowl with a spade drill bit.
I added some white rope through the holes I had drilled in the bowl. Three strands of the same length rope.
Isn't that the prettiest bowl bottom you've ever seen? I love how the SPiT takes on a life of it's own. It swirls and marbles and has a 3D look that's hard to capture on camera.
I think the old wood bowl turned out to be a pretty great hanging plant shelf, don't you think?
You can check out a specific supply list, and see more pictures and details by clicking the blog link below. I'd love to have you stop by and visit.
Kelli @CraftShackChronicles