Patty S
Patty S
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI

The Japanese garden pagoda I built by using plastic plant pots and cement.

I collected plastic pots of different shapes and sizes, cut the bottoms off, slit them up one side and taped the slit back together. filled them with concrete and then removed the pot by removing the tape after they dried 24 hours. They are still a bit damp so you can do "wet carving" on them to make your forms more rounded or smoothe. I used rebar again as I had with the Polatems in my earlier post, or
Japanese pagoda, I made with concrete and plastic pots as moulds.
A view from my upper deck
A view from my upper deck
This will become a path light.
This will become a path light.

• Sam20555314

how did you do the windows in the lantern
    • Patty S

When I put the concrete on the plastic planter I waited about an hour and then used a knife to cut them out. You do not have to cut through the plastic, just the concrete. I am now making another one out of Hypertufa, much easier. I will post it when I am done.
    • Hog3275625

Hypertufa might break down in the rain. I would check out with a pint or hardware store. I think I read long time ago.

• Sarah

Wow!! This is amazing, great imagination

• Patty S

Another picture of it now in the garden . The pictures above were taken 5 years ago. Here it is now and I've added some bamboo railings.
    , The pagoda has acquired some moss and we added a bamboo railing