Patty S
Patty S
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Sturgeon Bay, WI

The Japanese garden pagoda I built by using plastic plant pots and cement.

I collected plastic pots of different shapes and sizes, cut the bottoms off, slit them up one side and taped the slit back together. filled them with concrete and then removed the pot by removing the tape after they dried 24 hours. They are still a bit damp so you can do "wet carving" on them to make your forms more rounded or smoothe. I used rebar again as I had with the Polatems in my earlier post, or you could use conduit, and make them into lanterns. Be sure to put a hole in the middle of each piece so you can fit them over the rebar/conduit. The circular pieces I made by just rolling in my hands...other pieces can also be made such as a finial for the top, which I have yet to make and put on the top.
Japanese pagoda, I made with concrete and plastic pots as moulds.
A view from my upper deck
This will become a path light.

• Sam20555314

how did you do the windows in the lantern
    • Patty S

When I put the concrete on the plastic planter I waited about an hour and then used a knife to cut them out. You do not have to cut through the plastic, just the concrete. I am now making another one out of Hypertufa, much easier. I will post it when I am done.
    • Hog3275625

Hypertufa might break down in the rain. I would check out with a pint or hardware store. I think I read long time ago.

• Patty S

Hypertufa does not break down in the rain. This has been through 8 winters and is still looking great. My gardens have grown profusely since I installed this. I also built the boulder and the bowl with hypertufa. They have been there for 3 winters. Very durable stuff. My daughter is an Engineer in the concrete field and she says there is nothing tougher

• Patty S

Another picture of it now in the garden . The pictures above were taken 5 years ago. Here it is now and I've added some bamboo railings.
    , The pagoda has acquired some moss and we added a bamboo railing
  • Kari Masoner

Nice! Very nice. Love your garden!