Nancy Dean Davis
Nancy Dean Davis
  • Circleville, OH
Asked on Aug 4, 2013

Rewiring a Vintage Floor Lamp

Diane ArnoldJim LAdrianne C
+8

I bought this vintage floor lamp and I just adore the whole thing. I know I will need to rewire it. Do they have new light sockets with the pull chains to look old? I haven't tried to plug it in should I rewire anyway?
q rewiring a vintage floor lamp, electrical, lighting, painted furniture
  • Ron

Hey neighbor... Yes you should rewire the light because I would assume your wire is frail and in rough shape not worth house fire... There is a lighting store in canton Ohio that catties

• Ron

Sorry its Louisville Ohio by canton the name of the place is R and K electric

• Nancy Dean Davis

Thank you so much. I thought so but wanted to ask because I love the way it is.

• Sia@South 47th

Beautiful Find! Please do rewire and yes they sell reproductions that will match your lamp. xox

• Linda B

I have one that was my fathers. I am hopeing to rewire soon.

• Nancy Dean Davis

I just had to have it when I laid my eyes on it. Of course just like all the other junk (love) it called my name. lol

• Pagan Raven

@Nancy Dean Davis As long as you replace the switch, socket(s) and wiring, you are completely safe in doing so. There are many videos out there that show step by step how to do this and I've done my share of them in my lifetime. If you don't feel confidant enough to trust your own work, have someone who does know a bit about it be with you as you do it. Or have someone double check it after you are done. Rewiring is soooo simple and easy that you'll feel silly for worrying once you do that first one! Believe me, been there - done that!

• Mary Hill

Please rewire the wonderful find and let us know how you did it.

• Adrianne C

Rewiring a lamp is a great learning lesson! Not really difficult either. That one would be awesome to redo! But don't plug it in until it's been rewired!

• Jim L

What a great lamp! Please, take it to a professional who will rewire it and replace the sockets with new ones in an "antique brass/bronze" finish. The shop will be able to do the job properly...do not gamble! Most probably, the shop will have shades that fit the lamp. Had I seen this before you, it would be mine!!!

• Diane Arnold

It's not a hard job, but if you're not a DIY have it done. Have done many myself, but yes don't take a chance be safe.