Paul M
Paul M
  • Fairburn, GA

An Unknown Plant

Anyone have any idea what this plat is. The flowers are initially small, white, and profuse. As they get pollinated they turn yellow/orange. The fruit resembles a small green foot ball and has the flavor of an orange and a lemon combined. Yes they are apparently edible as I ate many this year and some last year as well. I have never seen these before but there are several in the woods around my house and I
an unknown plant, flowers, gardening
an unknown plant, flowers, gardening
an unknown plant, flowers, gardening
an unknown plant, flowers, gardening

• Katrina Wylie

It is an Elaeagnus.(ea-lee-ag-nus) They are wonderful shrubs! We have one on either side of a large arbor. It has almost taken it over but is just beautiful. The tiny flowers are almost "non-noticable" but they lend fragrance to the entire garden with their gardenia like scent. My plants have grown to at least 15 feet but we just continue to weave them in and out of the arbor and I cut them often for huge flower arrangements. Caution:large thorn like growths on some limbs!

• Katrina Wylie

an unknown plant, flowers, gardening, Elaeagnus almost had the arbor covered last summer but is twice as large this year