The Cheapest Closet Space Saver Ever!

1 Material
$0
1 Minute

I don't know about you, but my coat closet is always a wreck. There's just so many coats and so little space. Even after I go through our stash and clean out what we don't use anymore (which I have to do often now that my kids are growing so quickly), the closet is still a mess. I found out about this hack and was quite dubious if it would actually organize my closet, but I gotta tell you, it really works! And you know what I used to organize it? A soda can! Yup, you heard me. A soda can is what saved my closet.

Step 1 : Gather your Materials

You need soda can tabs. Lots of them. I asked my co workers to save their tabs for me. They drink a lot of soda, and I had enough tabs within a week.

This is my jam-packed coat closet

Step 2: Empty the Closet

It's really easy to dump everything out of the closet, so I took advantage of the extra time and went through all our coats again. I actually found one or two that did not fit anymore. This also helped me organize everything (like boys and girls coats, jackets, rain coats, etc.), and I separated them into pairs. Step 3: Slide the Tab onto the Neck of the Coat Hanger

I just slid the tab onto the first hanger. It works best if you have metal hangers (especially those free ones you get from the dry cleaner). The tabs didn't fit over some of my thick, plastic hangers, so I switched them with hangers in another closet. Step 4: Attach the Second Hanger to the Tab

I just hooked the next hanger into the bottom hole of the tab and voila! A two tiered hanger! It totally made more space in my closet. If your closet is really full, you can attach more levels by repeating steps 3 and 4 and build a chain of hangers.

Look how much space I saved just by doing one tier on each hanger! Now I have to go tackle my daughter's closet.

• Carolyn Sonier Chase

If you would turn your curved wooden hangers all in the same direction, you would save even more space!

• Kelly Kessler

Will this work with plastic hangers, I can't stand wire hangers
    • Lisa Wright

i have used the pulls from soup cans they are bigger, or i have bought the plastic ring for curtins or my brother used his keychain collections,

• Tina Chmelik

What if u don’t use wire hangers? They are not really available anymore and there is no way a plastic hangers will fit in this holes?

• Toy Crisp

Alot of thrift stores sell them as well very very cheaply. I gave away or threw away plastic ones I had. The thrift store I go to sells all different types of hangers for way way way cheap.

• Gail McFadden

I splurged and bought the velvety-covered hangars (at Costco) and saved tons of room in our closets. Nothing slips off the hangars. It really works well!

• Susie Q

I found this works much better with tabs from canned soups snd vegs. They are a little bigger and much sturdier than soda tabs.

• Lucía

Hello, I will try those. Because also, soda cans have a rough pointy edge that could reap clothes.