Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

The Cheapest Closet Space Saver Ever!

1 Material
$0
1 Minute

I don't know about you, but my coat closet is always a wreck. There's just so many coats and so little space. Even after I go through our stash and clean out what we don't use anymore (which I have to do often now that my kids are growing so quickly), the closet is still a mess. I found out about this hack and was quite dubious if it would actually organize my closet, but I gotta tell you, it really works! And you know what I used to organize it? A soda can! Yup, you heard me. A soda can is what saved my closet.

Does your closet give you anxiety in the morning?

NEW: closet decluttering workshop, powered by Hometalk

Step 1 : Gather your Materials

the cheapest closet space saver ever , bedroom ideas, organizing, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas

You need soda can tabs. Lots of them. I asked my co workers to save their tabs for me. They drink a lot of soda, and I had enough tabs within a week.

This is my jam-packed coat closet
This is my jam-packed coat closet

Step 2: Empty the Closet

It's really easy to dump everything out of the closet, so I took advantage of the extra time and went through all our coats again. I actually found one or two that did not fit anymore. This also helped me organize everything (like boys and girls coats, jackets, rain coats, etc.), and I separated them into pairs. Step 3: Slide the Tab onto the Neck of the Coat Hanger

I just slid the tab onto the first hanger. It works best if you have metal hangers (especially those free ones you get from the dry cleaner). The tabs didn't fit over some of my thick, plastic hangers, so I switched them with hangers in another closet. Step 4: Attach the Second Hanger to the Tab

I just hooked the next hanger into the bottom hole of the tab and voila! A two tiered hanger! It totally made more space in my closet. If your closet is really full, you can attach more levels by repeating steps 3 and 4 and build a chain of hangers.

Look how much space I saved just by doing one tier on each hanger! Now I have to go tackle my daughter's closet.

Grow Vegetable Garden

Too many clothes and not enough closet space?

We got your back with our closet decluttering workshop!

Tell me more!

• Carolyn Sonier Chase

If you would turn your curved wooden hangers all in the same direction, you would save even more space!

• Marr Blankenship

Instead of soda can tabs, save the ones from soup cans or dog food cans. They are larger. The top section will fit over tubular plastic hangers with the bottom section holding a wire coat hanger.
  • Kelly Kessler

Will this work with plastic hangers, I can't stand wire hangers
    • OldNana

If you don't have tabs, Amazon sells Paxcoo Key Chain Hooks with Key Rings – 100 pieces for $11.99. These should fit just about anything.

• Tina Chmelik

What if u don’t use wire hangers? They are not really available anymore and there is no way a plastic hangers will fit in this holes?

• I use the tabs off of soup and other foods that are larger for the thicker or heavier clothes, using wooden hangers to support the extra weights... In fact, exchanged the primary (the first one in the series) wire hangers to wooden ones to better support the extra weights of the additional clothing!!!

• Pamela

I have tried the larger tab size and can hang 5-6 items with no fear of clothing weight.