Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

The Best Pot Lid Organizer!

$2

Cabinets are so hard to keep organized. I’m always looking for great organization ideas. While looking around on the internet I saw people using the unused space between the cabinet door and their shelves for lids, and I thought, "what a great organization solution! I've got to try this."
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
the best pot lid organizer , how to, organizing, storage ideas
All you need are some command hooks. It's really simple, and you can basically buy them anywhere. I got mine from Amazon!
Here’s my messy cabinet. See how unorganized it is? Step 2: Prepare Your Sticky Hooks

I peeled the front paper off of the sticker and attached it to the hook, following the package’s instructions. Then I peeled the back off of it, so it was ready to stick. Step 3: Use the Lid to Measure
I placed the hooks onto the lid and then placed the lid where I wanted it to go (where it’s handle hits between the shelves) and pressed lightly. This way I didn't have to guess the distance between the hooks, and I knew it would fit. Step 4: Press Firmly and Wait
I pressed the hooks firmly to the cabinet door (without the lids, of course). Then I waited 30 minutes before using them, as per the instructions on the package. Step 5: Hang your Lid
Lastly, I just slipped my lid into it’s custom holder. Ta Da!
The great thing about command hooks is I can change the locations whenever I want, because they're so easily movable. I think I'm going to do this for all my pots and pans.

• Dpi9333840

I want to know how you used two hooks for three lids?

• Linda

I've never seen a cabinet like yours. Is it custom built or is there a way I could purchase one like that? Thanks in advance.

• Carla Randall

I really like the fact that no holes have to be drilled. The color of your cabinets is beautiful! There are lots of pull out drawers on the market but I especially like yours. Did you put them in after market? If so, do you recall where you got them? Thank you so much for sharing!!

• Inge Hoare

Do they not fall forward when opening doors ?

• Nan

Where are the pullout pan shelf units from?

• Carol Singleton Ashworth

I have some that are different, got them from Lowe's. We liked them so much after we installed the first set we purchased a second set for another wide cabinet.

• Shawna Bailey

We had them put in when we changed our kitchen cabinets a few years ag. but every hardware store has the hardware for it.

• Eil8361917

Hi, I'm sorry but I can't tell from the pictures how many hooks were used for each lid? These books look realativy small - was there a size on the package? Thank you--lids are always hard to store.

• Hem9247816

Look like 2.

• Eil8361917

Thank you - that's what I think it looked like, but just couldn't really tell -only 2 packages were purchased, but didn't say how many in a package either. Thanks again.

• Shawna Bailey

two hooks for every lid

• Jasmine

if each shelf is stuffed all the way out to the door, then one couldn't close the door fully with the lids hanging like that.

• A. Ballard

Notice where the handles are placed in relation to the shelves.

• Linda Laster

You will have at least 3/4" because of the frame that the door rests on.

• Shawna Bailey

Yes, I had to carefully place the lids so that the handles hit in between the shelves. There is a small gap between the door and the shelf in general, one of the reasons this tip is so great because otherwise that space is never used.

• Mary

My husband hung a super sturdy curtain rod on our kitchen wall for lid storage, and we have a hanging pot rack. (Too many lids to place them on top of the rack)

• Nan

Thanks Carol. How wide is the cabinet you have these slidets in? I'm trying to organize the big area under the island cooktop.

• Helen Skaleris

What brand shelves are those and where can I buy them?

• Shawna Bailey

I'm not sure the brand name we had a carpenter friend all them because the are extra wide. I know they sell the hardware at lowes.

• R Walter

You can find something similar at the Container Store. I installed mine (bamboo) onto the existing shelves in my pantry and absolutely love them.

• Grandma Ali

Do you have to remove the kids to open the drawers? And do the drawers slide past the hooks? Please.

• Lorry Goff

Always remove the kids. My motto is "no kids in the kitchen"!

• Shawna Bailey

You yo make sure to place the lids between where the drawers hit, then you should have no problems.

• Bettyanne Courtright

Never heard of removing yours KIDS to be able open a drawer
    • Aniad

Lol! I think it was a typo...supposedto be lids
    • Siri

Of course it was a typo 😉. OMG.
    • Patty Frisch Badali

How ironic, I was just trying to organize my lids and thought I need to check out Pinterest for some idea and Bingo! Checked my email first and here was my solution. TY
    • Grandma Ali

Oops! Haha, of course I meant lids, but Lorry Gof that's a good motto!!
      I'm so surprised I'd not been back to this. Rofkmsl
  • Jac15689435

How do you start the process

• Shawna Bailey

By holding the lid up against the door. That way I can check it the door will close when the lid is in that location, then a hold on the hooks at the bottom of the lid.

• O.shag

Do the lids fall if door is shut hard?

• Shawna Bailey

Nope never

• Gay Wright Eadie

What about pull out drawer/shelves? Can the shelves be pulled out with the lids on the doors?
    • Kathy Gydus

Good question glad you brought that up...just by looking at the pictures it does look like the lids would get in the way.
    • Jud11548937

I dont have easy close drawers for pot and pans so Im stuck !

• Geertrude Moulijn

How many hooks per pot over?
  • Alex

what size hooks are used?
  • Liv20781611

What about cooking and washing lids?
    • Katey

The lids are easily removed from the hooks to use for cooking or to be washed because they're only attached at the bottom.
  • Marilyn Nelson

Nice idea! What brand are the pull-out drawers your pots are in? They're so practical. Love your colors too.
    • Kit Kat

I was wondering about the pull-out drawers too. I like them and the lid idea is great. I would need to do the pan organization as well as the lids as my cabinets look like hers used to. LOL
    • Joe Jones

The pull out drawers can be found at Lowe’s and Home Depot behind the cabinet section. They have the garbage can slider so you can put can under the sink. There’s a lot of cabinet organization things back there.

• Shh15203094

Does the cabinet door close all the way with the lids on the door?
    • Cathy

You need to make sure the lid Top handle do align with the pullout drawer
  • Gye28205270

There are so many sizes & kinds of Command hooks. Which size & kind exactly was used for this project?
    • Joe Jones

It’s the ones pictured. They are clear and if you look at them they make a half loop that your lid will fit into , almost like a hand holding them.

• Laura Setter

Any other suggestions other than command hooks. I wouldn't have any lids left if I used those. They don't last.

• Pam1418628

You got that right!

I used them in the bathroom...the picture fell down in 3 months...used them in the kitchen to hang something extremely light....took 3 days for that to fall down. Followed the directions to the "T"...

• Gayle Deas

I used them to hang a metal tray on my dining wall. It was down in a couple weeks. One fell off the wall completely and the other broke. I'm glad the tray was metal and not glass. I would not trust them on my glass pot lids. This is a good idea, but I would use a hook that screws in.

• LeeEllen Zahorsky

I hundred 8x10 pictures, 3 fell, one was broken. They might hold a basket or poster

• Mar5256953

Where did you get your slid out cabinet draws?

• Nat

Ikea sells great slide out drawers that are really sturdy

• Sue

Where do you get the clear backed adhesive hooks? All I find are those with white adhesive. I want to use them on my outside pantry to hang my hot pads and gloves and don't want to see the white. Also, where do you buy pull out drawers cheap?

• Mary

Where can I find the slide shelves for my cabinets in my kitchen and bathrooms

• Louvina

Where did you get your cabin drawers?

• Linda

I never get foaming bubbles. The baking soda just sits there. Why?

• Sweetsuzee

I want to try this but I've been having difficulty finding the precise Command hooks used in this project. Anyone know product #?

• Debbie Satre

Thanks ! Sounds like a great idea! I will defiantly try it.

• Tina

I see that you have glass lids hanging by command hooks. I use a lot of the command hooks, but I would never hang glass by one because once In while it does come off the wall or cabinet.