A Couch To Swoon For!

$40
Advanced

I purchased the fainting couch several months ago with the hopes of giving it a new attitude. My plan was to strip the finish and bring out the natural wood and reupholster with a light fabric.
As luck would have it, the piece was very cheaply made and the finish was almost impenetrable.
When I finally removed the finish, I discovered the wood underneath was a very cheap wood with no woodgrain or character, whatsoever.
So I did what any DIYer would do; I broke out the paint brush!
This is the original piece.
It had seen better days.... Apparently made a kitty very angry (the floral fabric, perhaps).
We removed the legs which were missing a few bolts and were very wobbly.
And took it all the way down to the frame, keeping the original fabric for a pattern.
Once everything was stripped and sanded, it was time to prime and paint.
Once I had a coat of primer and a couple of coats of paint, I moved it inside to apply a final coat of paint.
I loved the white but really wanted the detail to stand out so I decided to add an "antiquing" glaze to highlight the carving.
Once the glazing was complete, I had to pick out a complimentary fabric.
Just look at the detail in the feathers!
Here is the nearly finished project!
I still have to add the trim work and tighten up any loose fabric.
(Will post more pictures later)
Now the work is done and it's time to relax!
All done!

Bonnie Shirley Coates

• Em

Pictures not close enough to see. What did you use for finishing the edged of the cushions?

• Denise Roberts

She used a cord after the material was stapled down. It is supposed to cover the staples and/or nails you use. Or you can make your own cording with some small clothesline rope (dollar store cheapest way), cover with some material you like or same as the couch, glue or baste it together and then do the same to couch. Sew if you are using the curved needles and able to hide the sewing. It is hard to get it tight enough that way, so glue may be better.

• Knit Wit

I absolutely love the glaze effect! The final product is fantastic. Well done!

• Robyn Garner

I LOVE the detail work on this chaise! How much did you pay for it originally?

• Denise Roberts

Just beautiful. The glazing really stepped up the look,, wonderful job. I had always wanted one and yesterday I watched a video where an incredibly artistic woman carved one!! I am not that ambitious, too old now. !! Love your work.

• Daisy@TX

Absolutely gorgeous!