Bonnie Shirley Coates
Bonnie Shirley Coates
  • Columbia, LA

A Couch To Swoon For!

$40
Advanced

I purchased the fainting couch several months ago with the hopes of giving it a new attitude. My plan was to strip the finish and bring out the natural wood and reupholster with a light fabric.
As luck would have it, the piece was very cheaply made and the finish was almost impenetrable.
When I finally removed the finish, I discovered the wood underneath was a very cheap wood with no woodgrain or
a couch to swoon for , how to, painted furniture, reupholster
This is the original piece.
It had seen better days.... Apparently made a kitty very angry (the floral fabric, perhaps).
We removed the legs which were missing a few bolts and were very wobbly.
And took it all the way down to the frame, keeping the original fabric for a pattern.
Once everything was stripped and sanded, it was time to prime and paint.
Once I had a coat of primer and a couple of coats of paint, I moved it inside to apply a final coat of paint.
I loved the white but really wanted the detail to stand out so I decided to add an "antiquing" glaze to highlight the carving.
Once the glazing was complete, I had to pick out a complimentary fabric.
Just look at the detail in the feathers!
Here is the nearly finished project!
I still have to add the trim work and tighten up any loose fabric.
(Will post more pictures later)
Now the work is done and it's time to relax!
All done!
Bonnie Shirley Coates

• Deb Squires

I have an antique couch that the seats are falling thru so if u can give me any ideas on how to fix I’d love that

• Bonnie Shirley Coates

Lorijo is right. Youtube is a great resource. Click through videos until you find a video with the appropriate spring system as they are not all the same. I once recovered a sofa with zig-zag spings. You can order replacements springs and brackets online and replace broken ones. Same goes with coil springs.

There are also videos with step by step instructions on tufts cushions, channel-back, etc.

Good luck! Don't let it intimidate you! You can do it!

Bonnie

• Wendy Kaiser-Alvarado

I have this same fainting chair and it needs reupholstered badly. How did you actually do the new fabric, I can’t seem to figure it out and don’t want to take it apart if I can’t put it back

• Bonnie Shirley Coates

YES!!!! Removing staples and nails are the worse! You will not believe how many there are. THEN you have a the nice skin cells, food crumbs, and God only knows what else. It can be a pretty nasty job... but OOOOH so worth it :)

• Christine Cajigas

How did you sand the crevices of the wood design? Can't wait to see the finished work!

• Kelly Thompson

Very beautiful. Absolutely love the finished product. You truly have a gift.

• Vicki Wicker

From zero to a million. It looks beautiful and shows all your hard work. I love it! Well done!