A Couch To Swoon For!

$40
Advanced

I purchased the fainting couch several months ago with the hopes of giving it a new attitude. My plan was to strip the finish and bring out the natural wood and reupholster with a light fabric.
As luck would have it, the piece was very cheaply made and the finish was almost impenetrable.
When I finally removed the finish, I discovered the wood underneath was a very cheap wood with no woodgrain or character, whatsoever.
So I did what any DIYer would do; I broke out the paint brush!
This is the original piece.
It had seen better days.... Apparently made a kitty very angry (the floral fabric, perhaps).
We removed the legs which were missing a few bolts and were very wobbly.
And took it all the way down to the frame, keeping the original fabric for a pattern.
Once everything was stripped and sanded, it was time to prime and paint.
Once I had a coat of primer and a couple of coats of paint, I moved it inside to apply a final coat of paint.
I loved the white but really wanted the detail to stand out so I decided to add an "antiquing" glaze to highlight the carving.
Once the glazing was complete, I had to pick out a complimentary fabric.
Just look at the detail in the feathers!
Here is the nearly finished project!
I still have to add the trim work and tighten up any loose fabric.
(Will post more pictures later)
Now the work is done and it's time to relax!
All done!

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
Bonnie Shirley Coates

• Em

Pictures not close enough to see. What did you use for finishing the edged of the cushions?

• Denise Roberts

She used a cord after the material was stapled down. It is supposed to cover the staples and/or nails you use. Or you can make your own cording with some small clothesline rope (dollar store cheapest way), cover with some material you like or same as the couch, glue or baste it together and then do the same to couch. Sew if you are using the curved needles and able to hide the sewing. It is hard to get it tight enough that way, so glue may be better.

• Knit Wit

I absolutely love the glaze effect! The final product is fantastic. Well done!

• Robyn Garner

I LOVE the detail work on this chaise! How much did you pay for it originally?

• Sue

That had to be a great find and bargain I would think. I LOVE the detail in the sofa and the LIGHT wood finish is me all over! I prefer colorful fabric but that is an individual preference and yours looks very nice. I just would have used a large scale colorful floral. Not sure what you paid for this, but it is GORGEOUS! I never liked dark wood.

• Elizabeth Fernandez

Really beautiful transformation! It looks very sophisticated and lux.