At Home With The Ellingtons
At Home With The Ellingtons
  • Knoxville, TN

Rustic Farmhouse Dresser

Years ago I painted furniture out of necessity. I was a broke college student, then a broke nurse trying to pay off student loans, and and then, finally, I painted just for the pure enjoyment of it. I generally won't paint anything from before the early 1900s and most things have to be in poor shape before I start painting; otherwise I leave it be with scratches and all.
rustic farmhouse dresser, how to, painted furniture
After doing a whole house remodel in 2012 I hung up my paint brush for almost three years, until I came across this cute little vintage dresser in a thrift store.
It was the typical, beat up/banged up brown dresser that was in need of some love. I loved it on sight. And it was cheap. So how could I have passed it up? This is the only before picture I have since it was before I started blogging. I snapped it and posted it on FB and soon everyone was falling in love with gal. I lightly sanded all of it, with just a tad bit heavier sanding on the top. As I was sanding the top, I started liking the rustic look and so I decided to leave it as it was.
This was my first foray into homemade chalk paint and I've learned a lot since then--the good, the bad, and the ugly. I mixed up aqua latex paint and Plaster of Paris -- which I no longer use. It has some carcinogenic properties in case you didn't know. Anyway, I did a very light coat of aqua on the drawers and the body of the dresser which gave it a time worn look...which I thought went along nicely with the rustic top.
The grooves were done in black paint to show off all of those pretty details. And I did just a touch of light sanding here and there so that it would look like the paint had naturally worn off in those areas. It's such a girly piece. Don't ya just love it?
I did several coats of wax and put on some new crystal knobs.
My husband then helped me move this baby all over our house. Upstairs. Downstairs. In every room and against every wall imaginable but she simply wouldn't fit the space or the color scheme anywhere. I ended up selling her to a lady who loved her just as much as I did...but I still wished I could have kept her.
At Home With The Ellingtons

• Veronica Davenport

What is FB?

• Kim8097941

What type of wax do you use?

• Hey Kim! Honestly I'm not a fan of wax. I prefer to seal with General Finishes High Performance. If that's not in the budget then I would go for a wipe on poly from one of the big box stores. If you love the look of wax then I would most definitely suggest trying Daddy Van's Wax. I'm pretty sure you'll have to order it online. I do sponsored projects using it and it's by far the easiest wax I've ever used. Keep in mind that wax can melt if you sit a hot cup of coffee or bowl of soup directly on it. It can also melt if it's near a window in direct light. It may not happen very often but when you've worked super hard on a project and the wax messes up then it's very frustrating. I know a girl in England who did an outside country fair and she had her furniture under a tent and the wax melted on every piece she had there. I would say that's probably rare but she was devastated and I can understand why.

• CharLee Williams

where do you get Poppie's Paint Powder?