Pot Rambling

So sometimes you look at a beautiful pot you created andswell with pride….other times…not so much. A few things I have learned along the way. The biggest and best I share with you is tobe a kid! Make a flower pot that makesyou HAPPY. The biggest temptation that Ioften give into is to put too many plants in one pot. Sometimes this works outgreat…other times it is a head on disaster. Put like plants together. The same practicalguidelines should apply to the fairy gardens as well. (Remember plants GROW) Shadewith shade (sometimes you can fudge….) and sun with sun. Plants that like water should be put in thesame pot with other plants that like water, and dry with dry. We all have seenthe spiller, thriller, filler concept, but sometimes you can break the rule andhave a fantastic creation. If you don’tlike how it turns out and here is the wonderful part, you can tear it all outand start again. I love doing compositions with Japanese Maples that I know Iwill probably have to tear apart and reinvent and make it even better! Yeah, that’s the ticket J. Oh I almost forgot. I am old school and still think you need a hole for drainage in the bottom of the pot...but that's another story
Japanese Maple (bonsai) under-planted with mondo grass and sedum
Fairy type pot, minimalist with Irish moss, Ice plant, Mugo Pine, dwarf acorus and a dwarf sedum
pot rambling, container gardening, flowers, gardening, hydrangea, perennials
oops sorry not really a container...well a hanging basket, but it was so pretty ...
The top was broken out of this Japanese Maple so it was obviously meant to go in a pot under-planted with some million bells and variegated needlepoint ivy
Just not real happy with this one yet.....may rework it next week
I do like this little mini hanging pot doodad though with the chickie in it
So I put a Jap Maple and arbrovitae fern , dwarf mondo and some pratia
Now this combo made me happy. This is the back side of a mini garden, with some Orange Celosia, Orange Sedge and yellow mercodonia ...way cool together, but way over grew the 'scene' on the front side. I keep the celosia trimmed..but
I love this orange sedge!
I love this orange sedge!
I wish I could do it justice with the pictures
Ok I know, I just kept trying to capture the it just right!
hehe...at the trade show
hehe...at the trade show
Shade under-planting for a tree form Hydrangea
Mixed perennials and annuals together
Mixed perennials and annuals together
another shade pot
another shade pot
this gets a lot of laughs in the nursery
NO HOLE!!
NO HOLE!!
Bright Lights Chard and Pansies Strong bold colors
Used Pea Gravel for a mulch in this pot along with some bigger rocks to give a 'landscaped' appearance.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

@Sensible Gardening and Living , I am thinking for quite a long time if they are treated as a bonsai. I mostly used Red Dragon for the pots, sometimes Crimson Queen.

• Sia@South 47th

@360 Sod (Donna Dixson) Love everything! Especially your beautiful surroundings! xo