Kitchen Table

After what seems like a very long time, I have finally finished my table. I bought it on Trademe for $5, bargain !!! The base was pine and the top MDF with a pine veneer, yuck. And the top was far too big for the space, so after two attempts to cut it down, seems me and a jigsaw aren't the best of friends, but I won (sort of) in the end.
Initially I painted the top white, but our kitchen gets very sunny, so I thought there might be too much glare from the white. Plan B - I dressed some rough sawn timber planks I had, down to 10mm (now I do get on with the thicknesser) and butt jointed them together, too thin to biscuit together.
Next glued them to the original top and applied several coats of shellac and also some teak wax.
The edge was painted white and then to disguise the join I used the last of the jute rope I had made the coasters from and hot glued that on.
To seal the rope I used Mod Podge.
And now it's done, pretty happy with the result.
kitchen table, painted furniture, Table pedestal before
Table pedestal before
kitchen table, painted furniture, Veneer top before
Veneer top before
kitchen table, painted furniture, Applying the shellac to the new top lovely how it brings out the grain and beauty of the timber
Applying the shellac to the new top, lovely how it brings out the grain and beauty of the timber.

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 of 7 comments
Next