Homemade Gazing Balls

$30

No more bowling with these balls! We used E600 Glue. We did have to be more careful with the placing of the stones and jewels and make sure they were top side to dry or they would slide off. Overall the project turned out great!!
We started out with 3 bowling balls
We started out with 3 bowling balls
On this one we added different jewels
On this one we added different jewels
On this one we added stones
On this one we added stones
homemade gazing balls, repurposing upcycling
Finished product. My daughter added glitter to hide all the empty spots
Finished product. No glitter on this one
Third ball. Recycled CDs. Total pain in the hand (scissors to cut up the CDs) but great looking product.

• Carole Morris

Hi there, love this idea. What are you using to glue the stuff onto the balls, hot glue, liquid nails... does it make a difference for putting the balls outdoors what you use

• Heidi Burks

I used E6000 glue. They lasted about two years. I would do it differently so they'd last longer, but not sure what.

• Sharon

You always have to seal a project especially for outdoors. You could use what they use on bottom of boats I think a marine sealer? Home depot has it. Remember before starting a project and ending a project to use a sealer. On outdoor furniture if it has a colored metal they use powder pigment mixture and heat seal it on.

• Wanda Stivison

I read a couple of ways to do the CD one. One is to put the CD's in the freezer then put between towels and use a hammer to shatter and the other one was to boil water and put them in and it makes it softer to cut up. I figured I would never make one, but I got a bowling ball free at a yard sale so looks like I may now.

• Heidi Burks

I don't know that I would try CDs again. I might try with this suggestion. They didn't weather well at all. In fact the only one that still looks decent is the marble one. Even this one needs to be redone though as the marbles are falling off. I think I will look into using indoor/outdoor caulk to see if this holds better. I also want to do a ball with pennies. I really can't complain though, it was a fun inexpensive craft with my daughter and we got 3 years out of it.