Patricia W
Patricia W
  • Eugene, OR
Asked on Aug 5, 2013

Using fabric on wood furniture

Patricia WColleenSia@South 47th
+5

Ive been seeing alot of fun dressers and tables with fabric on them. I wonder which fabric type is best for this? I have some painters drop cloth canvas that I love working with, adding graphics and designs with my blender pens or Citra solve. I wonder if a thinner fabric would work better?
  • Colleen

Not sure what part of furniture you're considering. Try a small sample with different adhesives. For a temporary adhesive try undiluted spray starch and soak the cloth with it and apply to surface, when the starch dries it would adhere the fabric to the surface. If you don't like it wet and remove.

• Patricia W

Colleen, I am thinking of starting with a small table. I saw one that had fabric on top, then she used modpodge to glue it, then she uses 3 coats of poly to seal it, then she used canvas belt strips around the edges and upholstery tacks on the canvas strips. I just did not catch the type of material she used and I wish I had pinned her project. It was so cute! Thank you for your input!

• Judy

The main thing you have to be careful of is bubbles under the fabric and making sure it is adhered well. I have used fairy heavy fabric, and prefer to use a thinner fabric. Maybe you could test a bit of your drop cloth on a scrap piece of wood? Would love to see what you come up with!

• Patricia W

Oh thank you! Ive been using canvas dropcloth for many projects! That would actually go well with quite a few of them! Ill try it, if it good I will create my own design on the dropcloth with my trusty blenderpens!

• Sia@South 47th

Using a squeegee is great for smoothing out the bubbles.

• Colleen

@Patricia W When shaping fabric on ornimental pieces, try using fabric cut on the bias, to allow fabric to stretch smoothly.

• Patricia W

Thank you ladies! Ive been meaning to get a squeege for my shower anyway! I have a brayer, but it might leave lines. Ill post myproject soon!