Joyce
Joyce
  • Billings, MT
Asked on Aug 5, 2013

What spray or granule can I use to kill weeds & not kill the grass?

Douglas HuntCarole

I got way behind on yard work this summer and the bank is covered with weeds. The worst is the bind weed! Some call it morning glory - the wild kind. Whatever, I need to get rid of it and get under control - preferably w/out killing the grass.
  • Carole

Check what grass you have as some weedkillers for lawns will kill buffalo grass. We have Sir Walter Buffalo grass and if we used an all purpose weed and feed we would also kill off our lawn in the process! This happened to a friend of mine too - her gardener poisoned their lawn with the wrong product and it all died. Please check what type of grass you have before applying anything to it at all. Laying new turf is very expensive!!

Carole is right that it is very important to make sure that any herbicide you use is safe for the type of lawn you have. The University of Colorado has suggestions for dealing with bindweed here: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/ptlk/1552.html