LInda
LInda
Asked on Aug 5, 2013

Rose

Mickey PesolaVirginiaCatherine Smith
+16

what is going on Hometalk peeps :) ????? all of a sudden it is looking like this :(
rose, gardening
rose, gardening
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

hmm...that is a pretty small pot and a pretty big rose. How often do you water it? How long has it been in that pot?

• LInda

I water when I put my finger up to my middle knuckle ...I has been in the pot since last year I put it in the unheated greenhouse for the winter . I should put it in the ground you think? or wait till fall? No black spots R.Adam Q :)

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

What zone or where abouts are you located @LInda ?

• LInda

Littleton Colorado :)

• Debra K.

I agree with Donna, I think it is rootbound. Carefully remove it from the pot not to disturb the roots. Find a nice sunny area with plenty of "Breathing" space(not to be crowded against other plants). Dig a hole at least the width of the plant, make it nice dirt with plenty of compost, mulch and good soil, place with root bulb remaing Above ground.(it looks like a big knot at the base of the stem.) Water it in, continue to keep fairly moist, unless it rains...not Too much water though...Cover heavily with mulch after the frost for wintertime protection. When spring comes......Pray.(:

• LInda

will do @Debra K. and fingers crossed :) Thanks

• Catherine Smith

Agreed, once you get it transplanted, then go in and remove the yellowed leaves. If you follow the directions about the planting hole, just water deeply for awhile. It will take it a little time to recover from being transplanted, but it should do just fine. Looks like a tea rose, so in the late fall early winter, prune it back a bit. There are several excellent tutorials on pruning tea roses on the web, but you want to take no more than 1/3, and shape the plant, so the middle gets good air circulation. Be sure and use sterile pruning shears. Just dip the blades in some bleach water (10-1).

• Karen Webster

If you haven't transplanted it yet, I always throw a banana peel in when I plant roses or do any transplanting. Its something my grandmother told me and I've always had good luck with it. I guess the potassium is good for roses?? I just rip it into pieces and throw in into the hole and plant the roses on top. But if you have some good mulch you should be ok too,

• Debby Boyle

The leaves got to much water. Pick all that off & clean up the ground under it.

• Shirley Boley

I had one that did this, I blamed it on our late snow?..as it had been all filled out and had rose buds on it..and then it looked like yours..nope mine not in a pot in the ground, I got it last year..and babied it thru the heat/drought with dish water saved..I cut mine to right above the ground 6-8 in. it looked so bad and spindley and the leaves were falling off after turning yellow..then I gave it rose food and have kept it watered..it is filling out again and has rose buds on it..I too take the banana peels to my roses..so I am hoping? will bounce back..it has the most beautiful cream yellow roses on it...and smells wonderful! hope yours bounces back...

• Anna Marie Gustafson

too much rain/watering? slack spot? this year roses, including knockouts...are having issues...I have been fortunate, pruning and deadheading knockouts, even though this is not required, has given me great blooming season...sorry this is happening...

• Catherine Smith

Roses love potassium and so do the worms in your soil. Banana peels and spent coffee grounds are a good thing.

• Buster Evans

Roses respond really well to coffee grounds.. a light amount in the hole and a light sprinkling around the base of the plant is good for them also epson salts helps in small increments .. you can put just a bit in the hole.. You'll be amazed at how well it will respond .. Just use small amounts though...

• Judy

My 1st thought was "have you recently had a heatwave"? I agree with Donna, small pot, big rose...time to transplant.

• Paula McCauley

Roses also like a lot of air, they do not do well too close to the walls of your home.

• Janice Presecky

you have to deadhead the brow & pinch the dead roses off they were attacked by Japanse Nettles which are very large this year Buy bug in a bag from Home Depot & hang it by the nearest Tree There is a sweet round thing you put in the bag It draws the Beattles an they go in it& it Kills them

• Catherine Smith

@Janice, if you're going to use the Japanese Beetle traps, please hang them well away from the plant they're attacking. Those round things contain pheromones (sort of the "red light" district for beetles) and will attract and kill them. If you have a bad infestation of JBs you need to seriously consider treating your soil for their grubs. I personally use a combination of Milky spore (which is expensive and slow to get going) and beneficial Nematodes (much cheaper, but they only last about a year or so). It takes time, but you can greatly reduce the number of beetles you have to deal with. And it's a good idea to get your neighbors to join you. You can also plant "trap" crops, such as four o'clocks. Again, you want to get well away from your main plants. But four o'clocks seem to really draw the beetles and will kill them.

• Virginia

Don't get water on the leaves, looks like mites (you need to spray). Remove yellow leaves, roses are deep drinkers & feeders. Let dry out between watering. Don't let "feet" sit in water. But this is bugs & water on leaves.

• Mickey Pesola

mine was acking up also. Had read that its important to make sure the area in the center is not to crowded. I trimmed mine down to 12 inches paying attention to the center. Then I put a pile of coffee grounds and a banana peel in the center, put mulch around it. It has been beautiful all summer long!! I am very careful to not overwater.