Sherrie
Sherrie
  • Nixa, MO

Cleaning Natural Stone, Marble, Granite, Slate

Cleaning granite, marble, slate, sandstone, travertine tile require special care. So how do you do that? If you keep the manufactories guidelines start with their directions. For everyone else I will give you the generic version. Which means I will tell you the safest way possible to clean it.
Counter Tops: use a neutral cleaner, stone soap, or a drop or two of mild dish soap such as Ivory. To much clean will leave a film on your counter tops. Use a clean soft cloth such as a micro fiber cloth. I love them! And rinse often.
Do not use vinegar, lemon juice or other acids, do not use scouring powers such as Comet, or soft abrasive cleans such as Soft Scrub on Marble, or Limestone.
Flooring: Dust Mop, vacuum with a hardwood attachment or turn off the roller bars on your vacuum cleaners.
Clean water and a PH 7 Cleaner, soapless cleaners are the best, or you can use a phosphate free dish soap or you can use a stone soap but unless you really rinse it will leave a film. I use a micro fiber mop, Rinse, rinse, rinse. Cleaners leave streaks unless they are PH 7 cleaners. I still even rinse them. Dry it! With a soft cloth or dry micro-fiber mop.
Showers-Baths: When you squeegee it after each use it will prevent build up of soap scum. Use a non-acidic cleaner, or a little bit of mild dish soap. Or if its really really bad you can use 1/2 cup ammonia to a gallon of water. If you over use this it will due the stone. This is a emergency for a lot of build up. I use mild dish soap and a soft scrub brush and rinse and dry.
Cleaning Marble, Granite, Slate
Cleaning Marble, Granite, Slate

• Geraldine Chislett

Do you know how to make a homemade cleaner for Onyx???

• Sherrie

Use a drop of dish soap. Clean rinse and dry. It is the same cleaning method you use for granite. It is important to rinse it well. And when I am cleaning it I use a drop of dish soap. That way the finish won't get cloudy and I can rinse all the dish soap off. And dry dry dry!