Asked on Aug 7, 2016

Cleaning an old meat grinder

Okekporo JamesKen33374624Rhr9712347
+5

I just bought a old rusty meat grinder from cousins estate sale. It's rust was falling off in little particles. I tried using baking soda and a steel wool scrubber. It was found in a basement. It really is in beautiful shape other than that. Any suggestions?
Thank you for all the help,
Joan
  • Judy
    Judy

White vinegar soak does a great job of removing rust. Also "Barkeeper's Friend" scouring powder removes rust and polishes metal beautifully.

• 153091
    153091

Believe it not...first let soak in Coke overnight, rinse, then try to polish.

• Patti Nicholas
    Patti Nicholas

White vinegar soak does do a great job. After soaking for a while (depends on how much rust- anywhere from an hour to several days) use a stiff brush (you can find them at hardware stores they look like toothbrushes and come in packs of three, one brass, one stainless, one nylon) start with the nylon one, if there are really rough spots use the brass or stainless one. When you are finished scrubbing soak it once again in a hot water / baking soda solution, basically a 2:1 ratio. For a few minutes to help neutralize the acidic action of the vinegar and rinse away all the mess. Once all the rust is gone you need to seal it or the rust will return, I would recommend using coconut oil, just wipe it on (at a slightly warm room temp it will be liquid enough to get in all the nooks and crannys. Buff thoroughly and enjoy your find. A note on BarKeepers Friend, it is a fabulous product for metal cleaning and polishing, but I use it as a last resort on products that come in direct contact with food. It's sometimes difficult to get it all washed off.

• Felicity Woodruffe
    Felicity Woodruffe

After soaking in cola set it up and push soft bread through it not too dry .it will collect any loose particles inside the parts you can't easily reach

• Rhr9712347
    Rhr9712347

After I clean the meat grinder how do I keep it from rusting again
    • Ken33374624
      Ken33374624

I HEAR THEY STORE THEM IN A PLASTIC BAG WITH RICE IN IT. THE RICE ABSORBS MOISTURE Alton Brown stores his grinder like that. DRY IT RIGHT AWAY AFTER U WASH IT.
  • Ken33374624
    Ken33374624

TRY A COAT OF MINERAL OIL.I USED IT ON A SAUERKRAUT CABBAGE GRATER.
  • Okekporo James
    Okekporo James

How To Clean An Old Meat Grinder – Step By Step

Before using an old meat grinder that has seen better days, it’s essential that you clean them up properly. Cleaning them will help make them safe again for grinding and prevent contamination of any kind. Below are some few steps to achieve that.

Step 1: Dismantle

The first thing you might want to do is to disassemble the grinder then take out each part and put them carefully in a bowl.

Step 2: Soak

Now that you’ve successfully dismantled each of the parts, it’s now time for you to soak them in a solution containing warm soapy water and vinegar for 30 minutes.

Step 3: Wash

Once it’s 30 minutes already, take out one part at a time from the bowl, with a brush, gently brush and ensure to pay special attention to the blades and every other part that normally come across what you’re grinding.

Step 4: Repeat

Depending on how long you’ve left your meat grinder, you might want to repeat from step 2 down to step 3 until you’re sure that your old meat grinder is completely clean.

Step 5: Rinse And Dry

Once you’re sure that there are no longer grits or stains of any sort, you can now proceed to give them a good rinse then finish it up by wiping the grinder and all it’s parts up with a dry clean towel and allow them to air dry.

Step 6: Store

If you want to use them once they’re dried, you might want to assemble them but if your intention is to use them in a few days time, then you’ll need to store them properly. One way I’ve found pretty effective when it comes to storing meat grinders part is to place them in a bowl containing uncooked rice. This will help to keep moisture out and prevent them from rusting.

You might want to check the below link if you need more ways of cleaning an old meat grinder How to clean an old meat grinder