DeborahG
DeborahG
  • Morrow, LA
Asked on Aug 6, 2013

Bathroom walls

DeborahGColleenWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+2

Took off the wallpaper; need to repair some 'dents' in the drywall. After that, what is the best way to finish the drywall. Do not want wallpaper again. Thx,
  • KMS Woodworks

I like to "skim coat" areas with light weight drywall compound...either the bucket kind or the "setting" type. ( I use the setting type when time constraints require a quicker turnaround.) Feathering the skim will reduce the amount of sanding that is required. Once the wall has been sanded smooth prime then paint. Some folks will texture the wall using a variety of methods. "orange peel" is one of the lighter textures with "splatter knock down" being a much heavier look.

• Seidman Paperhanging

Prime with Zinsser's Guards to seal in any adhesive that you may have missed. Adhesive will attack paint & force it off the wall

• The whole trick is to do what both KMS said and Sidman suggested. Spackle the damaged areas, sand smooth. Perhaps requiring a skim coat of spackle on the entire wall. This depends upon just how well you removed the paper and remaining glue. Once done you need a good coat of primer. The better the primer the better the final result. Then paint using a good quality finish.

• Colleen

Agree with the above, however if you wash down the walls to get adhesive off, do not pour rinse water down the sink drain. I did and it clogged my pipe, hubby had to replace the elbow.

• DeborahG

Thank you all for the suggestions. This is my next big project. Thanks, again.