Asked on Aug 7, 2016

How do I clean a rusty bathtub?

Sherry MarieHolly JonesD'Sapone
+17

There are several metallic stains and other stains that bleach and lime remover don't remove. Part of the ceramic coat is gone! Any help, please. I'm sure my landlord is not up to this! I'd like the greenest solutions to my problem. Any ideas about how to discourage my cat from licking this is also helpful. Thank you.
Black spot, ceramic gon. Yellow spot, who knows Gritty down stain-don't know
  • Christine
    Christine

Not green, but Zud Cleanser does wonders on rust. I've used the powder in the past with fantastic results.

• Sue Kiene
    Sue Kiene

Zud does a good job but I prefer CLR. Again it is not green but does a good job. If you have a good hardware store near you why not go and see if they have a recommendation on how to fix. Often they can be very helpful. You might want to let the landlord know you are intending to try to repair it. As for your cat licking it, maybe she likes the roughness of it or has an iron deficiency? Maybe check her gums or call the vets office and ask them if you should have a concern about her doing that.

• Sue Kiene
      Sue Kiene

Maybe she is just saying I love you, myself, my home and my playmate LOL. I think I would call the vets office first and see what they think of what she is doing. May just need a vitamin supplement. Could just be a habit that she has.

• Lynn
    Lynn

Try peroxide.

• Joan
    Joan

Use Barkeepers Friend.Sprinkle it ion let it sit use a non scratching pad.It took the rust off our pool deck !!

• Randy Grey
    Randy Grey

your landlord has to replace this tub..contact the health bureau or landlords and tenants act if not.

• Linda Wright
    Linda Wright

you can try a product called krud kutter if that doesn't work I don't know what else will.

William

You've got chipping porcelain. The tub would need to be refinished or replaced. That would be your landlords responsibility. No amount of cleaning would remove rust off metal.

• Patti Nicholas
    Patti Nicholas

BarKeepers Friend will get the stain off the porcelain, and a pumice stone (yup just like you use on your feet, but get a block from the cleaning aisle, it's cheaper) will get rid of the rough mineral stains (that gritty spot) from the hard water. but the rust is coming from the cast iron area that the porcelain has chipped away from. That will have to be refinished. It would be lovely if your landlord would do this and yes, it should be professionally done, but this is the real world and landlords face the same financial constraints the rest of us do and can't always fix something immediately that technically is still working. As a temporary fix, you can get a kit at most hardware and DIY stores that will patch the porcelain. It is TEMPORARY but should last several months at least. (My Mom did a spot on her guest bath in the 80's and its still there) Just tell them you are looking for a porcelain tub and tile patch kit. Now it looks to me as though there may be water still dripping on the area which is just aggravating the problem and probably why your cat likes licking it. Try a heavy sprinkling of cayenne pepper, the cat will smell it and move on, after many sneezes of course. just be sure to wash it away before you get in.

• J747725427
    J747725427

Use a pumice stick it will remove rust. Concerning hole or missing porcelain you can use bondo to fill then sand it smooth have landlord refinish your tub .

• Sue  T
    Sue T

There is a product called "Iron Out". I have found it locally (Southern Alabama) It is NOT Non toxic, so do Not let the cat get to it, it is a powder, but wet the rusty area with water, then sprinkle the powder on it, let it sit for several minutes then stopper the tub and run a little water in the tub and let that soak awhile, Anywhere the solution touches will be rust free in a few minutes. Don't breathe the fumes, open windows, avoid being closer than a few feet away from this. When the porcelain is back to the beautiful white it is supposed to be, turn on the water and rinse the tub completely, Use Cold Water ONLY. I know you wanted Nontoxic, and this is Definitely NOT, but it Does work and it works fast.

• Lyn2398900
    Lyn2398900

BarKeepers Friend is right on. Patti has good advice.

• Wanda.ll
    Wanda.ll

I'm sorry but you can go to this page look for something to work. I know it is there. You paint it on leave and then use appliance something to cover. You can even call them and they can help you do something to help you out now.

• D'Sapone
    D'Sapone

We would eliminate all the stains with our most powerful cleaner that soaks deep into the surface bring a cleanliness, which you have never imagined before.

• Holly Jones
    Holly Jones

Bar Keepers Friend, is all I have to say!!! It works awesome, with a little elbow grease to go along with it.

• Sherry Marie
    Sherry Marie

Bleach will eat porcelain up. When I prep a car to paint I use comet and a red scuff pad to get it super clean.