Teri
Teri
  • Bellingham, WA
Asked on Aug 6, 2013

What can I make???? 65 pairs of little dull scissors

CathleenTabbyJoellen T
+29

Hi everyone, I saved these dull scissors from the trash bin. I been looking to see if anyone has made something crafty with a bunch of scissors, but have had no luck. What would you do with them if you had them? Ideas please.
65 pair of little scissors
65 pair of little scissors
  • Sherrie

Take your dull little scissors and cut through sand paper a few times! you would be surprised how quickly it sharpens them! and if these are dress makers scissors some of them would be worth the effort to have them sharpened. They are probably worth a whole lot more than you think!

• Sharron Abrams

Have you tried to make a wreath for your door? This would look inviting I think.

• Cynthia B

rain chain?

• Kimberly Barney

The first thing that came to my mind was a wreath especially since it is "back to school" time. The wreath could be made as a gift to a favorite teacher or school office. I would not include any pointed scissors in the wreath. I would try to sharpen the dress maker scissors as they would have a pointed end and would not be appropriate for a craft item due to safety reasons. I like the rain chain idea, too.

• Sharon

How about spray painting the blues and greens and making a peacock feather out of them.

• Teri

Everyone has given me some great ideas. @Sherrie I didn't realize that about the sandpaper. I will use this with my own scissors. I also love the peacock idea alot @Sharon. I could do a mix media with glass and the scissors, and since I raise outdoor birds I could add this piece to my get away area.The wreath would be a cute one if I had kids in school, but i don't. Thank you everyone for pointing me in some kind of direction.

• Colleen

Make a clock out of them. Place the finger holes towards the center with the blades going out. Looks like you could make a number of clocks and sell.

• Columbia1

@Colleen Thought of your idea as soon as I saw the request. How about cutting off the "circles" on the handle and use that for each number (or 12, 3, 6, 9) and use a pair of the blades for the hands. This could be used in a craft or sewing room...maybe a gift for a crafty friend. If it is for a quilter, either use cloth squares on the background or paint squares before doing the remaining steps. Might even make a gift idea for a beautician.

• Larose LoganOakes

I think that it would make an adorable fence in a fairy or gnome garden. Put the scissors with the tips pointing into the soil and that leaves the finger holes as your fencing. Just a thought! Another idea would be to make garden markers out of them by attaching some type of wooden signage to the top of the scissors and painting the wood with chalk paint and then writing the name of your plants or herbs onto the little wooden sign. The scissors would then be placed into the soil pointy end first. I think that you should try to sharpen them and see if you can make them usuable as school supplies are always in short supply. I know that there must be some women's shelter or Children's Hospital Ronald McDonald House that could use the scissors.Let us know what you decide to do.:)

• Teri

@Larose D. Logan-Oakes I love all your ideas, but the last one is the best and think I will see first if I can give them a useful home like a school or a art class. If nobody wants them to use as scissors than I will create something with them. They are all like children size.

• Sia@South 47th

You could always go the Windchime route. Easy peasy

• Jan H

First I thought of a wreath, but others mentioned that. I love the painting them in colors, but how about making a garland threading ribbon through the finger holes, (not through all of them, let some scissors be open, and others more closed, for more variation) and drape them where the mood hits, maybe under molding in a craft room, or along a fence in that fairy garden mentioned above.

• Margaret

In winter I live in a small village in México. We make school packages for local schoolchildren and these scissors would be a great addition. If you would care to donate them I would be more than happy to pay postage. They would be going to a good cause. Thank you.

• Jossi

@Margaret THIS is a wonderful idea ! Sharpen them first w/sandpaper, as described below, and send them to the schoolchildren !

• Patty W

Cutting sandpaper is what I use & a old coke bottle. If you happen to have one act like your trying to cut down the mouth of the bottle. Its sharpens both side at the same time. Sound wierd but it works. Its from the old, way, back, days! I would try the sandpaper, & I have use a emery board in a pinch.

• Teri

@Patty W Thanks for that info. Im going to try this tomorrow on these and see if I can et some sharpen. I think thats why they all got dumped, because they are dull.

• MaryKay@Studio23Thirty

How about a wind chime. That would be so cute.

• Cindy tustin

I would take the whole bag and donate it to a low income child care facility.

• Carol

Oh no doubt I would make a few garden flowers! They are all over here with spoons..same idea. The points would face into the center finger holes making the "petals" Could be made with a wood center, a metal pie plate even glued onto a old crystal plate to make it reflect the sunlight. Mount on a wood stake and they would be soooooo cute in the garden. They could also be used to make a bird feeder. Using the old tire and screen ideas then add them around the edge for the birds to stand on.

• Marilyn

I love the little school scissors to deadhead my petunias etc. I keep a pair at ever pot to make it quick and easy since it's not my favorite job to begin with.

• Brenda O

Used the as the weight in a few wind chimes

• Chris aka monkey

a rain chain? xx

• Joellen T

donate them to a school. with the costs of supplies now a days they can use all the help they can get.

• Sheryl S

Make wind chimes for teachers & hair stylist.

• Magpye

I am thinking that if you have an old tree, or something kind of tall, you could make an Edward Scissorhands figure. My idea is still quite hazy. If it were I, I'd have to fool around with it some.

• Patty W

Hey Teri let me know how it goes. It usually works you might to change the grade of sandpaper if your not having any luck.

• Teri

I sure will @Patty W Im going to see if I can give them a useful home first, before I do something crafty with them. Maybe a school. But I will use your info on sharpening.

• Bonnie D

How about making a wreath for a teacher?

• DesignedByBH

I was going to suggest a wreath, as well. While I understand the thought behind donating them, if they are dull they would be of no use. And sharpening an entire bag of scissors may not be something that you have the time (or patience) to do! (However, I would be tempted to run to the store and buy some to donate should these not work!)

• Joellen T

just give the kids each a piece of sand paper and let them cut it up. can be used for instruction while they r doing it.

• Tabby

I would try a very fine-grain sandpaper. Fiskars sells a scissors sharpener like a black plastic box -- you 'cut' into it. If that doesn't work, seems like the metal parts could be 'sold' to the metal recyclers. And a wreath, with the sharp ends pointing inside, would be cute.

• Cathleen

Hang them, with fishing line at varied lengths and angles, from a hanging light fixture. Could be fun-looking in a studio setting. Attach some glass crystals, too. I've seen this done with old silverware, eyeglasses, etc.