Susan White
Susan White
  • Charlotte, NC
Asked on Aug 6, 2013

Identifying

F.a. ArthurSusan WhiteDouglas Hunt
+5

Does anyone know what the name of this plant is? It appears to be a climbing fern and comes back every year.
Does  anyone know what the name of this Fern is? It appears every year and is a climbing fern.
Does anyone know what the name of this Fern is? It appears every year and is a climbing fern.

As Rhonda says, it's really impossible to tell from the photo. Most climbing ferns, however, are bad news. Japanese climbing fern (Lygodium japonicum) and Old World climbing fern (Lygodium microphyllum) are marching across Florida and the Gulf states. There is one native, Lygodium palmatum, which does not have the invasive tendencies of its cousins.

• Katie Price

Douglas Hunt is right. The trick is to figure which one you have. I would err on the side of caution and get rid of it. There are plenty of other climbers you can grow on a trellis that aren't an invasive risk.

• Susan White

actually it isn't invasive at all. Stays in just the spot it is in and it is so very lacy it is quite beautiful...

• Mary Miranda

Would like to see a better and clearer picture to ID it, please?

Susan, the problem with these ferns is that you only think they are staying in their spot. The wind carries the spores meaning you may not see the many more of them coming up. I really do not know what the status of them is in North Carolina, but in both Florida and Alabama they are on the march, smothering pines and everything else in their way.

• Susan White

Interesting thought. I have been here 40 years and it has not spread unless I divide it and I have not seen it anywhere. I am a pretty avid gardener and just haven't seen it . That is why I was trying to identify it.

• Susan White

I sent a better one yesterday... hope you can find it...

• F.a. Arthur

i agree with getting rid of it as it a Chinese climbing fern. I planted one about 10 years ago and they still are coming up(I live east of Atlanta), even though I have killed the ones I see. This fern, while very pretty, is considered extremely invasive in Florida.