Asked on Aug 6, 2013

What Should I Do With This Great Vintage Find?

Patricia BrownMarjoAnnMarie @ Musings of a Vintage Junkie
+15

I would love your ideas on what to do with this large mirror I found thrifting. Do I upcycle by painting and distressing....something I have never done; do I use it to frame a plant to hang on my front porch; or do I hang it on my dining room cupboard?
I found this large mirror, 24" x 30" while thrifting!
  • Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

Super find!! I have had three like that come across my path...two I left alone and the other I painted and glazed. All were big hits and sold quickly. I tend to like original, and vote that if it's in great condition as is, then leave it just that. With its glorious patina and all, give it a feature spot in your home. :o)

• Lee R

Und

• Kimberly Barney

I like it in its original form but in its original form, it appears very formal when I believe your style is less formal. With that being said, I would paint it gray and distress it with a black overcoat. I do not understand what you are talking about with the plant. However, it does not appear to be the type of mirror, I would place outdoors. However, placing it on your cupboard does make it difficult to get into the cupboard.

• Larose LoganOakes

Let me make a suggestion. I like the mirror the way that it is but instead of hanging it on your cupboard I would get a stand up easel ( one of the fancy ones at Home Goods/Marshalls for less than $20) and put it in the corner of the room so it won't get knocked over. I used one of these in my bedroom in FL when I bought the dresser I didn't realize how big the mirror was that came with it because I never saw it and when it was delivered I was like " Are you sure that is the right mirror to go with this dresser?" The delivery guy was like " Yes Mam!" It was humongous and I had no place to hang it. This worked out great for us. I hope this helps you with your dilemma. P.S. I read your Musings of a Vintage Junkie and if you do decide to take the mirror off and hang the plant in the middle of it I would say to paint the frame bright RED! That would add a touch of color to your vignette.

• KathrynElizabeth Etier

Or do you use it as a serving tray or vanity tray?

• check out my blog post to see the three ideas I had....I do like the idea for a vanity or serving tray but it is VERY large for that!

• Z

@AnnMarie, I saw the close up on your blog and it looks lovely. I wouldn't touch that beauty!

• Sia@South 47th

I see it as a table, in it's original patina. Nice Find!! xo

• Debi McCoy

Use some chalkboard paint -- great message board

• great idea Debi!!

• Patty

If you didn't want to keep it or paint it, I like to make frames into bulletin boards with either cork, of fiber board covered with fabric. You can also put a piece of masonite board that you've painted with chalkboard paint.

• Eileen Stablein

I just found a mirror at an estate sale---the frame was like a pie crust table on the edge. I encrusted it with costume jewelry ( and I mean piled it on every spot). You can see it at my facebook page@ (Eileen Stablein) where my picture should be. click on it to enlarge. I really like the way it turned out, hope you do also...Eileen

• I went and checked it out and it is FABULOUS!! Are you keeping it or selling it?

• Eileen Stablein

AnnMarie, This is the second note I'm writing. I am not super brain when it comes to the computer. Glue jewelry on mirrors I can do!!! I am going to keep the mirror at the moment. I would be happy to talk you through the project should you choose to do the jewelry thing. Not much to it---take the jewelry apart with pliers and glue it on. the mirror.II noticed a little gingerbread on your mirror that you could play it up with the placement of the jewelry. If you would like to talk my phone # is I live about 8 miles out of downtown Pittsburgh. I look forward to talking to you. Eileen Stablein

• Thanks! It will take A LOT of jewelry for this mirror! I am still so undecided as to what to do with it but so far I like your idea the best! I'll be in touch if I decide to pursue the jewelry idea!

• Marjo

Look at the site of Annie Sloan for ideas

• Patricia Brown

The mirror is beautiful as it is.It is just hanging in the wrong place..Patricia Brown