Marvin R
Marvin R
  • Sanford, NC
Asked on Aug 6, 2013

Weed Identification?

Teresa AS137Claudia
+18

Ok yall I need a weed identification I have tons of it on one side of my yard and its crowding out my grass. It grows very low to the ground almost like moss. Evidently weed and feed or preen doesn't work on this one. I have to be carefull about what I use because its in my lawn. Any guesses on what it is and how to treat it?
weed identification, gardening
weed identification, gardening
  • I can't be certain from the photo but it looks like creeping charlie. As it's name sugggests!! Very strong and regrows from just the slightest little bit of root.

• Marvin R

Yeah it definitely regrows that's for sure its like a ground cover.

• Linda Meyer

Is it The dreaded Dollar Weed???? Something with Atrazine will work on it. There are some posts on Hometalk about it.

• TJ

looks like creeping charlie to me, also. Have you seen any blossoms on it? Creeping charlie actually has a pretty flower, if I remember its a blue/violet flower. It can very difficult to get rid of or to slow down the spread. You might want to contact a lawn pro or a nursery. .

• S137

Looks like Creeping Charlie to me. I actually made the mistake of transplanting some into my front yard last fall, but decided to take it all out when I saw how FAST it was spreading once spring came. http://www.muddyhillfarm.com/blog/2012/11/17/creeping-charlie-free-groundcover-or-invasive-weed/ Some people like it, though. See this link: http://www.susunweed.com/herbal_ezine/February09/goddess.htm

• Pam

@Yair Spolter It's called Creeping Fig. Got it from Lowe's. We have it growing up on our house. Love it. Shouldn't hurt anything.

• The pic is a bit blurry for me but I think Linda is right~ the Dollar weed 1then you have to do a different approach. I have read that you use sugar or dried molasses and it is about a pound of sugar to about 250 sq ft of lawn. Water thoroughly after sugar is applied. Dollar Weed comes from over fertilizing and/or poor soil. Good luck. But if it is creeping charley the weed and feed should have worked.

• Marvin R

@The Garden Frog with C Renee I looked up pics of dollar weed it looks just like mine evidently its called pennywort also. Now to get rid of it.

I think that is dollarweed as well. It thrives where there is excess moisture, so anything you can do to dry out that area will greatly help. If you want to go the herbicide route, the University of North Carolina has suggestions here. Make sure you pick an herbicide that is safe for your type of grass and follow all label directions: http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Weeds/Dollarweed.aspx

• Marvin R

That makes since Doug cause the areas that are the worse are moist and I have clay soil that holds moisture.

• Linda Meyer

Lots of luck. We struggle with dollar weed here in Savannah. If you don't water your grass dies , if you water too much the dollar Weed Thrives!!! Scott's Bonus S has worked well on our St. Augustine grass. Also Image. They both have Atrazine. Would love to know more info about the sugar application- who has had luck with that???

• Marvin R

@Linda Meyer Yea it seems like the sugar could cause problems with ants and roaches. Ive heard of people using beer, soda, and molasses on grass to encourage growth though. The Jerry Baker Technique. Me and my wife love Savannah its great! We cant wait to go back. We are huge PD fans.

• NancyLee

Just can't help myself - I have to check out every new weed I see for its medicinal, edible applications. Here a quick quote on dollar weed: "Yes, dollar weed is edible! That annoying weed that spreads, well, like a weed! It takes over by means of of rhizomes. It can be added to salads and is tastier as it grows bigger. It has the medicinal value by balancing blood pressure and blood sugar." From Elizabeth's secret garden blog: http://elizabethssecretgarden.blogspot.com/2012/06/mead-botanical-garden-winter-garden-fl.html

• Leona G

Dollar weed/penny wort is a moisture loving plant. Most broad leaf weed killers will kill it but to keep it gone you may have to adjust the water retention problem, If it is creeping charlie again a broadleaf weed killer or brush killer should kill it. May take a couple of applications though. Good luck. Atrazine can only be used twice a year and is in the weed and feed for St. Augustine

• Glenna Kennedy

Looks like creeping charlie to me too. I have this crap in my flower gardens and it has spread to my lawn. I swear it came with the mulch I put down this year. Im scared to use anything on it in my flower garden in case it kills my plants so I pick it out daily...driving me crazy!!!

• Claudia

Creeping charlie....smells awful too! Not alot you can do but dig out the area and replace with new top soil...because it runs on shoots, like a strawberry vine. If it is penny wort it is suppose to keep ants in check.

• S137

I don't know if it will "harm" any other plants, but the area where I planted it is adjacent to the nicest part of our lawn. I have seen how it spreads in other parts of our property and did not want it to encroach on the lawn.

• Teresa A

I agree with @Clauia that it is one of the worst smells! Creeping Charlie is a nasty perennial weed. However, it sticks out in the winter (nice green patches) when the grass is dormant. I have used a salt shaker filled with Borax and applied it when the Creeping Charlie is wet with dew or after a rain. I didn't have luck with this in the summer. I couldn't see all the runners well enough.