Brooke Nichole
Brooke Nichole
  • Waynesboro, VA

Hideaway Cat Litter Box

$40

I'd finally had enough of the "sweep/vacuum/repeat" cycle with my two cats and their litter box in the bathroom. With a piece I scooped up from a thrift store, I created a hideaway litter box. It's not perfect, and took quite some time to plan out but my cats are using it and I'm no longer cleaning up the floor after them each day!
Update December 24:
Hello everyone! Thank you for all of the kind comments, and suggestions! I've updated with another picture to clarify: there is still a litter pan inside the chest which I clean every other day. There is no odor so long as the girls cover their business, and I change the litter completely once a month. They still kick litter around the opening, but I put a rug outside the box and can easily sweep it up. Compared to the previous routine of mess in the bathroom and litter in the tub, I highly recommend it as an alternative!
We're going on several months here, and no spraying or accidents outside the litter pan. Anyone who comes to visit has no idea what is inside, which was the main goal! Good luck with your own projects!
The color is a bit off, but here is the finished product!
The grip rug traps most of the litter upon exit, not all but it is certainly better!
I started out by sanding lightly the imperfections. I then cut an opening in the end for entrance.
It's important to make sure your piece is wide and deep enough for them to squat and move around in.
I applied a few coats of latex white paint, since it's impossible to find milk or chalk paint where I live.
To moisture proof the inside and wood, I bought square peel and stick tiles from Lowe's for about .38 a piece. Then I used tub/sink caulk to fill in the gaps against the wood.
Then I added a few spots of color with the help of some Martha Stewart stencils.
I also sanded the white off in some areas to add the distressed look. I'm no expert at distressing, but it turned out really well.

• Gail

Where do you keep the litter box furniture. Some keep them in the livingroom but my husband thinks it all stink. What do you think?

• Paula Hagan

I made one for my bedroom, using a large deck storage box. Looks great and the cats love it.
  • Laura Rossmurphy

I love this idea and I'm stealing it. 😀
    Also, I was born in Waynesboro! Small world.