Fun to Make Mouse Trap Clips!

Places like the dollar store, grocery store and even Home Depot are full of great inspiration. And oddly enough, even a simple mousetrap can become a tiny work of art...
fun to make mouse trap clips , crafts, how to, organizing, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
So I was perusing the dollar store the other day and ran across the mouse traps. After staring at them a bit, I threw a pack into my cart and was met by my husband's questioning stare.
"Crafts", I said.
He shrugged and moved on. Yep, my husband has gotten used to my weird way of thinking.
Most folks look at these little wooden traps of springing metal and think "dead mouse".
I, on the other hand, think "cool looking refrigerator clip!" I guess that is the difference between us crafters and mere mortals.
Begin by taking the mousetraps apart, removing everything but the big metal spring.
Choose four bright colors and paint the wood of each mouse trap.
It may take about three coats of acrylic paint to cover up all the wording on the traps.
I decided to go with the four major food groups. You know, ice cream, fast food, hotdogs, and donuts. (You really didn't think I was going to say veggies, did you?)
Anyway, I used a clip art program and chose my graphics, printing six of each graphic. Cut out one of the graphics entirely, using a small pair of nail scissors.
Using a second graphic, cut out the next layer. We are going for a 3D effect here by raising those areas that would be closer. Cutting some thin cardboard, glue it down on top of the areas that you are raising using the white glue.
Glue the second layer over top of the cardboard pieces.
Repeat this process with a third layer, choosing items that would be even closer, cutting them out and gluing them over tiny pieces of cardboard to raise them.
Add a fourth layer, using the same process.
This will create a great 3D look. Repeat the process on the other traps using other clip art.
For an extra touch, you can add some dots around the edges in contrasting colors. Coat the whole thing in Matte Mod Podge to protect the paper and give it a finished look.
The final touch was adding a magnet to the back of each one with hot glue. And what do we use these for?
How about holding your notepads, your keys, your receipts, coupons, whatever? Right there on the fridge where you can't miss them! And all being held in place by cute little mousetrap clips. Pretty cool, huh?
Click the link below for the full details!
Susan Myers

• Calaw

This is a cute idea but am missing something. When taken apart did that loosen the spring enough not to snap back?

• Ileana

She states, Begin by taking the mousetraps apart, removing everything but the big metal spring.

• Pat Ruge

Susan, you were my inspiration. I've just completed my project "Rat Traps Galour! It's a snap!" and posted it here on Hometalk. I wanted to thank you personally and let you know that I gave you special recognition in my posting.
    , Rat Traps Galour It s a snap
  • Sherrill Larsen Braden

Ha funny. Made a bunch of those for Christmas last year