DIY Hanging Planter

This super simple project transformed boring, frumpy plastic hanging planters (that I picked up for $3 each at my local hardware store) into hanging planters that are more my style! The whole project only took a couple hours – and I’m in love with how they turned out!
I started with these super basic, not particularly attractive plastic hanging planters.
I removed the plastic hangers (they were just clipped on to the pot), and spray painted the pots white.
Then, I took a piece of twine and cut it to twice the length that I wanted my plant to hang. I folded the piece of twine in half and inserted the two ends upwards into the holes in the pot that were from the plastic hangers (that I removed earlier). I cut three more pieces of twine and did the same thing on the remaining holes.
Once I was done pulling the twine through the holes, I gathered all the ends at the top, and tied them together with an overhand knot.
I put in faux ferns from Afloral. I ended up putting 4 fern bushes in each planter, and it worked out perfectly!
I hung the planters in my screened in porch, and I just love them!
This DIY was the last finishing touch I wanted to put in my screened-in porch to complete my makeover for the room! You can see the whole "Screened Porch Makeover" here!

3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
The Cofran Home

• Shirley Patey
    Shirley Patey

Do planters need any prep to make paint stick to the plastic?

• Joline Cosman
      Joline Cosman

They make spray paint just for plastic now. You should probably wash it well, but shouldn't need anything more.

• Justine
    Justine

How do you hang a planter? I don't want to have to drill into the ceiling.

• Monica Santos
      Monica Santos

It depends where you want them I have them in my curtain pole hanging, be careful to use small ones

• NY-Helene
    NY-Helene

Drainage?