Paving With Broken and Half Bricks

We started playing around with a couple of ideas on paving with half bricks. Firstly, get a piece of black water pipe and make the ring to measure 1 meter in diameter. Start by making a + pattern in the ring and then fill in the other half bricks to complete the circle. Smaller broken pieces then get used to fill the bigger gaps. Once you have completed the area you want to cover with the half and broken bricks, mix up a dry mix of river/building sand with a dry cement mix. When you have filled all the gaps with the dry mix, you can spray water from your hose pipe on to the dry mix and brush with a broom to get rid of the excess cement mix.
.
1 meter irrigation pipe to make circle
Fill in gaps between circles with smaller broken brick to get this effect.
Try and keep your circles lined up, so that you can see squares as well as circles on your paved area.

• Joe

Do you have a photo of the finished job? Looks great so far!

• David

Suggestions on where to find half and broken bricks
  • Ingrid Bippus-Cotey

There will be a lot of leaves, and water drop on it. My question is will the water just run off or sink into the bricks? Also will I be able to rake it easily?

• Jameswallen

WOW!!! I must say your invention is worth for appreciation. A person like me would have thrown these half bricks, and could not have ever thought like reusing it by having such great design idea. I remember when construction of my cousin's house driveway was going, Contractors whom they had hired suggested similar ideas instead of throwing it into waste. They have also uploaded construction images on different paving ideas on their site:- http://capitalpavingconstruction.com/" target="_blank">http://capitalpavingconstruction.com/

• Patricia Herne

Yes I'm certainly inspired and the bricks look very attractive but with the excessive rain here in dehradun and the dust the bricks will become a mass of moss and slippery