Bardi Heating and Air
Bardi Heating and Air
  • Norcross, GA
Asked on Aug 7, 2013

Paint Colors & Primers

Bardi Heating and AirPeace Painting Co., Inc.Walden Enterprises
+9

Where do you go to get your paint colors and primers? So many choices, need some suggestions. Thanks!
  • KMS Woodworks

I have gotten a lot from my local Ace hardware store. They carry BM, and Clark Kennsington as well as their "ace" brand. When I working on some projects down in the flats I often use SW.

• Sia@South 47th

I go to Sherwin Williams.

• R.V.R. Farris

I second Sherwin Williams, although I will probably use Benjamin Moore Advance (satin finish) on kitchen cabinets soon.

• Depending upon budget, Lowe's-Valspar and Home Depot-Behr paints do the job. The paint with primers work but if you have wall that has been painted in a dark color and you want to go lighter then I suggest you use Zinsser primer first. If you are going to go from darker to lighter then you do not necessarily need a primer unless the walls have semi gloss and you want to go to a flatter sheen. If you have children, then you need to go with a satin for wash up and I prefer a sheen. Bathrooms and kitchens should have semi gloss for durability, moisture, and cleanability (satin works too). If the wall has issues then go with eggshell and maybe even flat if the walls won't see much abuse. Do not be afraid of color but also remember that color can either stimulate the brain or calm you down. And if you are on a really tight budget the Valspar 2000 contractor paint is also pretty good. I have used it and I felt it rolled on and only took 2 coats to cover. You will want to do 2 coats of paint no matter what too because it gives a much better finish. the key to any painting is the paint brush and the rollers. Do not skimp on a good quality paintbrush and rollers! Good luck to you!

• Bardi Heating and Air

Thank you everyone! These are great!!

• S137

I spent a lot of time selecting Benjamin Moore colors and bought a few sample pots to see how the colors would look on the walls. Then when we hired painters, they said they only use Duron paint. To add to the confusion, Sherwin Williams has taken over Duron. When I went to the Sherwin Williams store, they said they could match the Benjamin Moore color, but in reality, their match was not a match so I had to start over and select from their color deck. Very frustrating and time consuming! Of course, if you are doing your own painting, it won't matter. I notice that a lot of the decorating magazines reference Benjamin Moore colors...

• KMS Woodworks

Unless you are "spot" painting a damaged area or doing some minor touch ups. Color matching in not that tough. If the paint mixer is worth their salt I have never seen where a SW or BM color could not be matched to be "unnoticed" when an entire wall is painted.

• S137

@KMS Woodworks part of the problem I had was that the sample pots were so small that the formula was not accurate, and I was trying to paint sample patches on the wall to test a new color, not to match an existing color. I got so tired of trying to tweak sample pots (at about $6 each) that I just surrendered to the SW deck. I was probably just making myself crazy anyway!

• Bardi Heating and Air

Thanks @S137 and @KMS Woodworks !

• Walden Enterprises

Worth mentioning in this discussion is color pallets and sample accuracy, which S137 mentioned. Every manufacturer has a slightly different pallet; one my generally be more muted or "smokey", another may have an overall edge to all their colors, and still another may just be plain boring on every page. This is why designers have specific pallets they choose to work with, and, therefore, different paints. In years past, all the manufacturers kept their color formulas pretty secret. These days, almost anybody can make someone else's color in their product and come pretty close. However, those subtle differences I mentioned earlier can make a difference to the discerning eye. The other observation about color samples is to be very careful about basing your decision solely upon that little bottle you can get off the spinning racks. While putting color on the wall IN the room you will be painting is always the best practice, those samples can differ from the gallon you end up buying. The formulas sometimes just don't translate. The sheens may not match as well, which further complicates the process. If it simply MUST be right, bite the bullet and purchase the gallon, put a little bit on the wall and then tweak as necessary. If you have to take it back for a re-tint, they will note the adjustment on the new label and stick it over the old one on the can. Insist that they do this! But to really address your question in Norcross, look at Sherwin Williams, Glidden, Benjamin Moore, Valspar (at Lowe's), Behr (at Home Depot), or Porter Paints. My personal preference is the Behr Ultra Premium Plus - paint and primer with outstanding coverage and workability at a reasonable price. Good Luck!

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Go to a paint store for paint, ie Sherwin Williams. They are the 'Mecca' for paint! In Atlanta, there is a store within 4 miles of anywhere. They can match your primer to any paint you chose. Best, Charles

• Bardi Heating and Air

Thanks @Walden Enterprises and @Peace Painting Co., Inc. !