Farmhouse Pallet Kitchen Light Box

$50

Have you ever had to break up with a light fixture? When we renovated our kitchen, I was given a gorgeous, emerald green enamel light shade that I loved, and still do, but it just wasn't working with where I had placed it.

Our kitchen is dark. I mean gloomy-on-a-shady-day kinda dark which is why we created our pass-through to allow the light from the bay window to spill over. But, over time, we realized that the pendant light wasn't bright enough and the enamel blocked the light from bouncing off the ceiling which would brighten the room.

We are starting to replace our kitchen floor and upgrade our Pallet Kitchen Island, so what to do with that left over pallet wood? Make a Light Box! When we made our Kitchen Island from pallets, I loved the stamped sides that we used as shelves. I removed two of the pieces with the stamping imprinted on them and used them for the ends. Then we used the gray pallet wood framing the sides of the island to create the sides and tops of the box.

What I love about pallet wood is the weathered, aged aspect. The old holes where the nails were just add to the charm and are what we used to screw the box together.

After removing the old light, we added braces to ceiling, screwing into the joists to make sure it doesn't fall on our heads!

Then we rewired the light. The awesome thing about the light box is that we were able to leave the length of the light cords in case we ever wanted to rehang it someplace else. All the extra cord is stowed away in the box. We fit the box to the ceiling ribs and screwed in the sides to the ribs.

That's it! Easy peasy, done in one afternoon and swoon-worthy!

15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Noting Grace

• Mary Coakley
    Mary Coakley

The lights are fantastic,did you purchase them?Thank you

• Noting Grace
      Noting Grace

Yes, we got them at a store here in the states called Lowes Home Imporvement.

• Carole White
    Carole White

Looks really good!! I do a lot of pallet projects but typically, the wood is hardwood and the finished project very heavy. Is that the case with your light-box?

• Denise Starr-Graybill
    Denise Starr-Graybill

I have halogen lights Could the spot convert over for this?