Katt Jezek
Katt Jezek
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Asked on Aug 7, 2013

Elm Tree cut down and now many saplings... Help please!!

Katt JezekSensible Gardening and LivingDouglas Hunt

I had a very large elm in my back yard that each year would lose huge branches and was turning black. Found out that the squirrels had hollowed it and it was dieing. We had a company come out and cut it down and now I have so many saplings growing throughout my yard, all over the place.(and the tree company left a partial stump) Is there any way of killing this tree for good? Any suggestions would help. Thank you

How about telling the tree company that they need to come back and grind out the stump? I think you'll just have to keep pulling, cutting or mowing the saplings until they finally lose their energy.

• Elms are terrible for that, I've been fighting one for years and still have not totally won the battle. I'm not sure epsom salts is strong enough but it's worth a try.

• Katt Jezek

I have called the tree company multiple times and nothing..I was told recently another idea about cutting the roots where they are coming out of the ground and taking a ear dropper and the total kill stuff and dropping it directly on the root.