Brenda
Brenda
  • Splendora, TX
Asked on Aug 8, 2013

Propagating plants

Armida MunozLisa BradyApril E
+8

How do I take a cutting from this rubber tree plant?
propagating plants, gardening
  • Sia@South 47th

Hello @Brenda !! Welcome to hometalk! There are so many pro's here in the gardening and every other aspect you could possibly imagine. I'm sure that @Douglas Hunt , or @360 Sod (Donna Dixson) or one of the other Pro's will be here to help you!! everyone is on different time zones, so please hang in there, help is coming! xoxox

Spring is the time to do this, Brenda, and an urban horticulturalist from Florida tells you how here: http://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/extensionservices/articles_cms.asp?articleID=433

• Karen B

I recently cut a piece off of one I found sitting by a dumpster and stuck in a glass of water. It produced roots within a week and is now doing nicely in a pot!

• Pete Sakes

I have rooted weeping fig trees off the parent tree by picking out the limb I want to make into a tree, cutting it at an angle almost in half therefore leaving enough to still be attached to the parent tree (or if the limb is big enough cutting a V from the side of the limb) then wrapping the wound with damp peat moss covered with saran wrap attached on either side of the wound with cotton string so that it looks like a hand wrapped candy on the limb. When you see the roots peeking through the wrap just cut below the wrap, carefully remove the saran wrap and then plant. I always do this in the spring after the last frost so that I can have my plant outside for added humidity (it helps keep the cut area moistened). I just do not know if this will work on a rubber tree plant since the wood is so different but it's something to keep in mind for future reference.

• April E

rubber tree cuttings are easy just take a 3 inch or so cutting from the plant apply rooting hormone and plant in a loose soil mix and keep moist. rooting hormone is available at most garden centers, the easiest to use is the powder form you just dip your cutting in water then dip in hormone and shake off the excess. keep the plant in a sunny window until it has rooted in well. you can start 4-5 plants in a 4 inch pot. if you want to get creative you can take longer cuttings, 8 inches or so, and start 3 of them close together in the same pot, trim off all but the top leaves and once they start rooting in you can train them into a braid.

• Brenda

@April E Thanks I might try braiding them and see how it works

• Lisa Brady

We were pondering other this very same Question about the very same plant so thank you.

• Lisa Brady

Sorry this device doesn't do flash my phone does but its currently misbehaving and that lap top is confusing too as I use Google Chrome I don't like the new Windows 8 thingy. But as soon as I can I will.

• Armida Munoz

Can I propagate a gardenia?