Amanda B
Amanda B
  • Pomona, CA
Asked on Aug 8, 2013

Yellow spots on my Pigmy Palms

Amanda BDouglas Hunt

There are yellow spots on my Pigmy Palms that it has never had befor. Just recently cut it for the first time in about 5 years, only about 2 rows. Sort of looks like sun bleaching where it got wet...Can any one help. NOTE: Queen Palm about 8ft from it has no yellow spots.

It is really impossible to say what the problem is without a photo. Leaf spots on palms are often fungal in origin, but a potassium deficiency can cause yellow spotting as well. If your palms are on a regular fertilizer regimen (which is important because palms need a variety of micronutrients), the cause is more likely to be fungal.

• Amanda B

I will try the fertilizer regimen, I tend to forget to do that...Probably why my red leaf banana tree is not so red also.

@Amanda B Make sure you use a fertilizer specifically formulated for palms. The inclusion of micronutrients is important.