Kalsti
Kalsti
  • Coos Bay, OR
Asked on Aug 8, 2013

Best way to get rid of Arum plants in the garden

KalstiKarenSia@South 47th
+9

These plants are poisonous and have not a very nice flower in my opinion--- anyone have ideas on how to get rid of them so that my animals can be safe? I have a goose and two cats that are outside cats.
best way to get rid of arum plants in the garden, flowers, gardening
  • I am not an advocate of killing plants unless is invasive and has taken over an area. I would try to put an ad in the paper which are sometimes free for free items or even Craiglist and give them away. People will come for free and even do the digging to get it out of your beds! It is a win-win for everyone. I would not worry too much about cats eating poisonous plants. I have had cats for 30 years and never have they eaten a poisonous plant plus cats can throw up if they do eat something 'bad'. The goose will eat any new shoots of grass and bugs. Do not panic I have found that animals seem to know what to eat and what not to eat.

I like C Renee's answer. I would add that Arum is often sought ought in areas where there is substantial deer browsing (they know to avoid it, too). If digging by yourself or others is not a viable answer, I would try painting the plants with horticultural vinegar just as they are about to go dormant and are directing their energy into the corms.

• Sia@South 47th

I had these and dug them up, then took them to my old Ranch and transplanted them along some fence lines around one of the herb gardens, to deter the deer. Folks with deer, as @Douglas Hunt mentioned love these. You should have no problem getting them out of your space, if you as @The Garden Frog with C Renee mentioned, place an ad in Craigs List. xox

• Kalsti

Thanks Douglas very much!

• Karen

She's asking for help getting rid of them because she has life out there she needs to protect. So with the cats and goose in mind, any more ideas?

• Kalsti

@ @Karen thank you that is right.....:) And I'm not sure that vinegar will kill these plants...??

• Kalsti

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.