P Kirkpatrick
P Kirkpatrick
  • Saint Joseph, MO
Asked on Aug 8, 2013

Old coat rack

NancyP KirkpatrickTami Wilson
+4

discovered the hangers are made of brass they were black how do I clean them to get them back to the brass or maybe copper can't tell
  • Kimberly Barney

I would think if they are painted, you could use paint remover.

• P Kirkpatrick

No they are not painted just aged when I was cleaning it up started to show thru now I need to know what to use to get the tarnish off

• Sia@South 47th

@P Kirkpatrick Hi there! Do you happen to have a picture? I'm curious as to the style and age of the hangers. Thank you!! Welcome to hometalk!! xox

• P Kirkpatrick

NO do not have a pic Ill try and get one

• Tami Wilson

My hubby was a commercial plumber for years and he has told me time and again that I should use hot sauce (Tabasco) and steel wool to break down the oxidation and restore brass to its original shine. I personally thought he was nuts until the day I tried everything to clean up a light fixture. Finally relented, put hot sauce on it, waited awhile then scrubbed with steel wool and shortly had a shiny brass fixture. I just hate it when he is right!

• P Kirkpatrick

Thank you so much for sharing!!!:)

• Nancy

Use Brasso. Found in hardware stores and other places. For copper, try ketchup.