Hardwood Floors From Plywood??? YES!!!

We had nasty carpet that was old and stained in a room we wanted to re do as a guest room. We wanted to put wood floors down but didn't want the high cost associated with them.
We started by ripping up the carpet and pad to expose the sub floor, which was in great condition.
Ugly, stained carpet 😩
Then, we laid black roofing paper on the sub floor and stapled it into place.
Carpet pad and subfloor
Next, we got 5/8" thick sheets of plywood in 8' lengths and had them cut into 6" wide planks at Lowe's.
We used stain and put a coat on each plank of plywood.
Planks are stained and drying
Then we made a pattern on paper of how we wanted the boards cut. Next, we cut the boards and laid them out according to our pattern and used finishing nails to staple them into place.
Finally, we put 2 coats of polyurethane on and let them dry for a week or so.
Apply the poly with a flat type of mop head
Ta-daaaa
Last step...add furniture!!
They're still shiny after a year!!

• 8' wide sheets of 5/8" plywood  (Lowe's)
  • Minwax wood stain  (Lowe's)
  • Black roofing fabric  (Lowe's)

Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings

• Lif24651824
    Lif24651824

What type of plywood was used (Fir, Spuce) and was it sanded?
    • Trudy
      Trudy

Angel, It is easy to calculate. A 4x8 sheet of plywood covers 32 square feet. Multiply the length and width of your room to get the square feet you will need.

• Queenbee
    Queenbee

By the time u get the plywood and have it cut and get all the materials how is this cheaper than say the wood laminate that is waterproof and water resistant that looks like real wood? I guess depending on the size of the room? That wood be nice for a room that used all the time, especially if it Jas to dry for a wewk...

• Jaggwire
      Jaggwire

I have laminate in my house, and I will never have it again. If it gets scratched (and that happens--a lot), it stays scratched. (You can "hide" scratches, but the surface is now compromised.)

I'd rather have beat-up real wood any day than all the laminate you can give me.

THIS is exactly what I'm going to do to my whole house (sans bathrooms, kitchen--tile).

Soon.

• Debbie
    Debbie

Why the roofing paper?

• Weda
    Weda

I've been looking for a solution to my outdated smelly pet stained carpet and I think u have gave me the perfect idea so thank you!! I'm a single mom (widow) and on a tight budget this gives me hope!!💜

• Jaggwire
    Jaggwire

Just gorgeous! I have laminate in all of my house (except kitchen and baths), and I will never have it again. If it gets scratched (and that happens--a lot), it stays scratched. (You can "hide" scratches, but the surface is now compromised.)

Soon. BEAUTIFUL!