Dolly Sarrio
Dolly Sarrio
  • Timmonsville, SC

Homemade Dishwasher Powder Tabs

I am trying out a recipe that I found on the internet. So far it is working fine but we will see what I think of it in the long run. Please join me and let me know how well it works for you in your home. I will be posting shortly as to how it works for me.
**UPDATE: I USE THESE IN BETWEEN USING THE FINISH POWER BALL. I DON'T FIND THAT IT WORKS WELL ENOUGH TO USE CONSTANTLY. BUT I ALWAYS KEEP ON HAND AND FIND IT IS THE BEST HOMEMADE THAT I PERSONALLY HAVE FOUND.
homemade dishwasher powder tabs, cleaning tips
How to for a Single Batch
15 cubes
1/2 cup each Borax, Washing Soda & Epsom Salts
1 tablespoon each Citric Acid & Baking Soda
2 tablespoons vinegar I used White 5% Acidity Add 1 spoon at a time
Use more or less as needed.
2 teaspoons citrus essential oil (I used orange essential oil)
I think this is where I saw this but can't be certain
Click to see video https://youtu.be/p_i_vPxTjtk
I make large batches so I used a large bowl. Put some newspaper down under your mold, ice tray whatever you use. I used these silicon baking pans I've had for awhile. Check your dishwasher dispenser and see if what you are using for mold will be the correct size and fit easily into it.
Do yourself a favor and wear a glove to mix the ingredients. I used a wisk and my fingers to mix and crush large lumps. The salts will burn an open cut if you have one and may be a little rough on your hands. After I filled and mashed each cube I went over the entire pan with the back of a flat edged knife to clean the sides of the cubes and filled other empty cubes with the leftover product. I tripled the recipe to make these 48 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" by 3/4" deep cubes

Dolly Sarrio

• Dolly Sarrio

I know it is an experiment with what will work and what won't. I have found that in my case I have to use the Jet dry with the homemade tabs. I have tried vinegar it just doesn't work for me. You have to find what will work for you. I have been using this for a month now and have only had one time that they came out cloudy. I needed to add rinse agent it was low. My experiment with these has been a favorable one and I will make more but that's not to say that like this one time things won't happen. I may even use one of my Finish tabs once in a while, if I think I need to but otherwise this is working for me.

• Gayle Reynolds Sass

I am running it again today, will add the rinse aid and the vinegar along with the dishwasher soap and see what happens.. Always a test..