Renee
Renee
  • Jacksonville, FL

Dresser Turned Buffet

Well, I am finally posting pics of the finished product! For those that saw my precious post...sorry it took so long. I had to rush through the process in order to get ready for my son's bday party this past weekend! For those that didn't see the first post...I found this old dresser and mirror on CL for $40. I was looking for a buffet for my dining room. Even though this is antique, mine wasn't in great shape and I decided to paint it. I really wanted to try the chalk paint and so far I am happy with it! I used the plaster of paris recipe. I did have a problem with it getting gritty after the first coat. After that, I tried to mix up a smaller amount with less pop and this seemed to work out better. The color I went with is a light gray color. I also used a toned down version of the wall color for the stencil on the doors and the drawers. I also painted my corner cabinet to match. I'm really happy with the results! I'd love to hear your thoughts, but please be kind! lol!
I didn't sand anything! Including the corner cabinet that was painted with Rustoleum's Gloss dark brown! Just painted right over with the chalk paint! I put several coats of clear wax on the top of the buffet and I am really happy with the results so far! It did dry hard and I have tried to lightly scratch it with my fingernail and it doesn't scratch! Impressive!
This is what it looked like before, but keep in mind, this is NOT mine! Mine was NOT in this great shape, but looked exactly like this. I never would have painted it if it looked this good!
This is what it looks like now! I took all of the drawers out and painted the whole inside white. The brown you see on the inside is the sides of the drawers from the center, I plan on painting those, just ran out of time and energy!
Close up of the doors. Yes, I cheated and used a stencil! I usually freehand everything, but I love this stencil!
This is the drawers inside. I did manage to get the fronts painted!
This is the corner cabinet that my mom gave me. It originally had glass doors on the front and I took them off to paint and fell in love with how it looked without them. This was a glossy dk brown and cream color! I didn't sand at all!

• Cindy D.

I like that you brought in the lighter teal color. My bedroom walls are almost the same as your dining room walls, and I've been hesitant to bring much other color in - that is a way to still have interest and design while keeping hubby's eyes from watering! ;)

• Sue

Great find and beautiful job. Love the color you chose.