Home Sweet Home: DIY Handpainted Wall Art With Frame

$15

I've been trying to brainstorm ways to make my entryway more inviting. There's not very much room to put a table so I've tried coming up with some alternatives. I have a few ideas in the works but to start off I threw this super cute canvas picture together this weekend to get me started and motivated to finish it up soon. I'll make sure to post what I work on as I get the pieces put together.
Here's what I used and what I did to make my very own handpainted "Home Sweet Home" wall art.
home sweet home diy handpainted wall art with frame, crafts, how to, wall decor
Supplies
16 x 20 Canvas
"Home Sweet Home" sign from the Silhouette Design Store
Cardstock or Laminator (depending on what you have on hand)
Black Acrylic Paint
Paint Brush
4 - 1/2 x 2 x 24 Poplar Craft Board
Rainy Day Gray Acrylic Paint
Miter Saw
Nail Gun
Painters Tape
X-Acto Knife
First, I went to the Silhouette Design Store and purchased this "Home Sweet Home" template for 99 cents. I also downloaded the program on my computer so I could mess with the sizing. Confession: I don't have a Silhouette so I knew I was going to have to improvise on this one. If I lived closer to Misty (she has one -- I'm jealous) then I would have likely done a stencil version of this however, the more I thought about it I liked the idea of actually having it look more handpainted so I printed it off on regular printer paper (you'll probably have to piece it together depending on how big you want it to be on the canvas). In hindsight, I should have printed it off on cardstock or photopaper because once I cut it out it instantly started to curl....REALLY bad. :( Luckily, though, I have a laminator. Once I had them cut out I just ran it through that baby. Only downside is I had to cut it out AGAIN. But it wasn't too bad.
The X-Acto knife comes in handy for the loopty-loop portion of the letters so make sure you have something like it around. It makes a world of difference!
Once it was all laminated and cut out, I grabbed the painters tape and taped the backs of each word in a few spots. The tape kept it from moving as I traced around it. I placed the words where I wanted them, pressed firmly on the tape and traced around each word.
This is what it looks like once the laminated words are taken off.
This is where the fun, somewhat tedious part comes in. Painting everything. I used a basic paint brush with the black acrylic paint and began -- carefully -- painting from left to right and top to bottom. It took awhile and a steady hand but honestly, I love the look of having it handpainted. Just remember to be patient. It's ok if it's not perfect. It's handpainted!
Here is what it looked like once all the words were filled in. Pretty much like the Silhouette template, right??
Now for the frame portion.
I actually was going to stain the poplar craft board I bought from Lowes but once I started to it didn't take very well so I decided painting might be the better option.
I had some Anita's Rainy Day acrylic paint that I thought would work just as well so I decided to use it instead. However, I wanted the wood grain to show through so I did a watered down version of it.
I painted the edges of the boards and the front side of the board (the other side was going to be up against the wall so I didn't worry about painting it).
Once they were all dry, I cut two of the boards at 20 inches using the miter saw. The other two were cut at 17 inches since these were going to be the top and bottom and would be "hanging" over the side boards. If that makes sense. I then took my nail gun and using the smallest one I had, nailed the side boards to the canvas frame and then did the same for the top and bottom boards -- making sure they were flush with the canvas back. Once that was done, I painted the exposed, cut ends.
And that's it! This is what it looks like all done and hanging up on my wall. I LOVE it! This is a fairly simple project, even with handpainting the words. I'd seriously do this again and I'm actually ok not using a silhouette to help me. :)
For more fun DIY projects make sure to visit, www.dreamsandmidnightjabber.com.

Dreams & Midnight Jabber