Jeanette S
Jeanette S
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Atlanta, GA

Rainy Summer Garden

Well, I am finally seeing some results from all the spring planting...some good, some mistakes! My banana tree is starting to grow now that we are above 80 degrees (coolest July I can remember) but come next spring, I will need to move some things around. Not being familiar with some of these plants, misjudged their growth pattern...I needed more bunching together of some things. And my petunias are supposed to be lush this time of the year but with the hard, continuous rain they have taken a beating! That center opening is supposed to be a sea of red by now! Our biggest job this year is fighting weeds between the rain storms! But we needed it! I think next year I am going to put some pots buried in the ground with colorful flowers instead of trying to plant to fill in!
Grasses finally taking hold...will be pretty by next year...sort of scraggly now!
This was hard to photograph, but the blush of blue on this pink is unusual...hope you can see it!

• Stephen Andrew

It still looks gorgeous even sans petunia sea. I'm up in Columbus, OH and usually my petunias are spectacular too. But with so much torrential rain they just get too beat up. I've been noticing how well my neighbor's impatients look this year. Thinking maybe next year I'll plant both, knowing either the impatients or the petunias will under-perform depending on the weather! Haha.

• Jeanette S

Stephen, thanks for the sympathy! HA! Actually, this year's planting was the start of using grssses in the droughts we have been having...little did I know Noah was gonna have to build another ark! I am getting to the point that I can't do much yard work so I am looking for things that are permanent where I can stick in a little color. For the very first time, we have green slime around he garage door and parts of the foundation brick! UGH! It has rained so much, we can't find a dry moment to clean it...I just noticed it today!